Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pistons & Race Gas Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!! if you keep talking about octane,factory recommendations,and owners manuals, HE will appear and beat us all with his mighty manual until we are bowed and bloody. ( DocTurbo knows who I'm talking about !!)

Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for confusion and not updating my signature. I'm fixin' to get a lot of work done, piston, port & polish, that kind of stuff, and I want to get it right the first time. I'd rather not have to mix gas but I want the most bang for my buck while trying to maintain low maint & reliability.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

If you keep the compression at 11:1 or less, and don't mill the head, 92 octane premium will be fine. With that piston, a port and polish, a cam that takes advantage of the flow and compression, and a good intake/exhaust system, you will have a noticeable bump in power off the bottom all the way to the top end.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

As far as an intake goes I'm running a K&N w/o the lid. I'm also planning on installing the Barker dual exhaust. Would this exhaust compliment your recommendations of the 11:1 and so forth?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I'm no exhaust expert, some sound great, flow bad, others just don't live up to the price,then there are the ones that work great with the combination of engine and intake work. Best bet is to go to a few web sites or performance shops and see what is recommended, or ask some others on the forum who have used that exhaust. Set up right from intake through exhaust will make or break a good engine output.Get as much info as you can before committing, don't just go off a few opinions or " I had a friend who liked this" comments.Sounds like you are on your way to a great set up and I'm sure you will like the results.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

barkers r great pipes no madder what your build is. for a piston i would go with a 11.5:1 tech quad shop piston made by cp pistons(the highest comp piston on the market that can run pump at sea level). and once u get head work that stg 2 hotcam will need to be changed to get the most power out of your quad and get the power in the right spot.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Most of my friends scratch their heads when I ask them these questions so I try to gain info from mechs, builders, and you guys, however, I understand evryone has their own theorys. With that being said, I lost some low end when I went to the stage II cam but it hits like a hammer on the upper mid range. I don't mind this. An engine builder at a local shop told me if I install a HC piston I'll gain the low end back and it will compliment the top even more. This makes sense I suppose. I don't want to spend big bucks on duals but if 'better air in, better air out' applies I'm fine with it. Any 'boiler plate' build ideas from you guys are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

get yourself a +3mm throttle body bore. imo at this point i would keep that hmf on there (not the best exhaust but not horrible). the duals r not going to be that huge of a gain at this point. get yourself a dynatek ingition also. i would upgrade to a power commander 3 efi unit myself.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

here is my list of how i would build a 700 and what exact products i would use
1.efi unit (power commander 3)
2. exhaust (barker, monster or dmc force 4 duals)
3. intake (fci intake)
4.cam (which one depends on applaction sp?)
5. piston (11.5:1 cp if u want pump 14:1 cp if u will run race gas)
6.ingition (dynatek)
7. port and polish (handfull of guys i would send my head to, pm me if u would really like to know)
8.crank (maker depends on app again)
a build like this will yeild about 80+ hp with the right parts
or if u have about 3500 at once go turbo with out a doubt. for 3500 u can have 90hp and 70tq and dune all day long! to give u a idea on how much power that is a stock 700 has around 39hp and a 400ex is in the mid to high 20s

Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!! if you keep talking about octane,factory recommendations,and owners manuals, HE will appear and beat us all with his mighty manual until we are bowed and bloody. ( DocTurbo knows who I'm talking about !!)
Ha, ha, ha, ha..........Your killing me dude!!!

To the O.P. 95wolv and bigned1904 are giving you very good advice. It sounds like you are going to have a very nice quad once done.

5. piston (11.5:1 cp if u want pump 14:1 cp if u will run race gas)
I really like to see things like this.
I cringe when I see recomendations like 12.5 to 1.
If you have a multi use quad the 11.5 is a good compression because you don't have to mix gas but you have good power.
If you have a dedicated race quad then go big like 14 to 1 because you need race gas anyway. 12.5 is in the PITA area. Too much for pump gas but not enough for full power either.

Quick Reply: Pistons & Race Gas Questions