Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Cuts out at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Cuts out at high rpm

First off, I have an '03 wolverine with a high performance intake mated to a K&N filter with a 150 jet in the carb and a step hotter plug in the motor. The problem that I'm having is that she seems to cut out in higher rpm's when I have the throttle pegged. I'll be topped out then it'll sputter, then it'll pick back up and start all over again. But it 5th I know I'm not near the higher side of the rpm range to hit a rev limiter. Do the 2003's have a speed/rev limiter on them? Or is there a more serious problem going on here? thanks for the help guys. -Rich

Oh, BTW, for my top speed trials I had switched back to the stock tires so that I could get every mph out of her that I could.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wolverines did not have a rev limit, there are 2 things that could be happening. One, your jetting could be off a little, making it a bit rich on the top, that will cause it to "skip' on the top end, warm it up, make a full speed run, when it starts to miss, shut it down and coast to a stop, and immediately pull the plug, see if it is lean or rich, you may need to go up or down a size on the main, or move the needle a notch to get the top end dialed in.
Second, if you are running stock valve springs, they could be "floating" where the speed of the valves opening and closing exceed the spring's ability to recover and "keep up", so the valves end up bouncing instead of sealing good, so you get a sputter from the intermittant valve opening/closing out of sync with the motor.
By the way, why are you running a hotter plug? that could also cause problems on it's own, the standard D8EA should be fine even on a modded motor, Thats what I run on my 446 bored/stroked Wolverine, with no problems.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

I'm running a dr7ea, it's just a step hotter then the dr8ea it calls for and the reason I'm doing it is because the stock 144 jet was too lean with the intake and the 150 was a little boggy at partial throttle. So my boss at advance auto said the easy fix was to throw in a hotter plug so that's what I did.

Just to check a theory I threw in a new dr8ea and the problem still persists. I was thinking though that the problem presented itself when I threw on the original tires after running the hella heavy Executioners. I've never had her as fast as she was when the issue presented itself.

According to my Vapor, the cylinder temperature didn't go up after the switch to the dr7ea, but my top speed did by 1mph

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any special reason you're running a resistor plug? stock is D8ea, not the DR, just curious why you went with that.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

dr8ea was what was in it when I got it and what Highlands yamaha said is called for