Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

03 Grizzly 660 - Not running right after carb work

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I have a grizzly 660 2006 and just cleaned the carb, and having the same problems. I was doing a little reading on the site and some say it is the reverse rev limiter; however, i couldn't find how to fix it. i also don't want to take mine to the shop. I also believe that the fuel mixture screw is suppose to be 4.5 turns out for the set position. Anyways I'll help in anyway i can just thought i would let you all know.
Thanks
Joshua

Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry 03 660 not running right

guys im working on a 2000 bigbear 400 I have the same problem. Runs fine with choke on. I have installed complet kit properly wont take the gas. I have left no stones unturned.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have the same problem with my grizzly 660 idles fine anything over a idle back fires threw carb rebuilt carb new spark plug. How do you hook up a timing light to a ggrizzly anyone have any answers because this sucks

Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Range Rover

Sicilykid, A little more info on what your bike is doing may help. Stock fuel mixture should be 2.5 - 3 turns out. The reverse sensor has a single lead running to the top of the motor under the air box. Sometimes this will get corroded and cause some problems. A good cleaning of the sensor and connector will fix this.

87gn, Neo & Sicillykid, Check for air leaks around the carb boots. From there check/clean main jet again. Then try different settings on the throttle needle. Try raising the needle for more fuel, if that doesn't help go the other direction.

Neo, Timing usually isn't an issue for these unless they have really high miles. You may want to check valve clearance though. The intake valves on the 660s are known to get tighter over time.

Yamakatz, did you ever get your issue resolved?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info my Reverse light does blink sometimes even in park i'll try that.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well does swamping it a bunch of times hurt the timing at all

Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

If you've swamped it alot then there's probably other issues. Check compression first. Then squirt some oil in the cylinder and compression test again.
Easiest way to check the timing without tearing the head cover off is to set piston at TDC, pull all valve covers off and check to see that rockers on both sides have a little play.
Check the valve clearance while your in there.
You can also pull the chain tensioner off and make sure it is working correctly. When you put it back on you should be able to tell by how many turns out the tensioner goes to see if it's maxed or still has some room. Test it while it's out of the bike to see how many turns it takes to max it out. Only time I've seen one "jump" time is after a rebuild that didn't get put back together correctly or the tensioner giving out(very rare).

Reverse light flashing in park or neutral is a speed sensor. Mine will come on when I'm revving the motor in neutral or park. Just a warning that the motor is revving but no power getting to the ground. It's a "feature". heh

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well thankyou all for your advice! But i have figured it out i put the needle seat in backwards (this is for the main needle that runs threw the carb) also it was rely loose fiting in that way.
Now i just have to tweek the carb a little and it will be done for now enough for the weekend. Tennessee mud here i come.
I have swamped my grizzly 7 times man you think i would learn

Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, update here; I had the carb (re) cleaned & gone over by a competent mechanic (as opposed to me, lol) Put it back on the quad & have the EXACT same symptoms. Nothing has changed.

Malachi - I see you mention this:
The reverse sensor has a single lead running to the top of the motor under the air box. Sometimes this will get corroded and cause some problems. A good cleaning of the sensor and connector will fix this.
Are you mentioning that in regards to my problem?

I have never had the quad swamped, I don't run in water. I do live in a somewhat humid area, & things do tend to corrode. I will try to locate that wire/connector & clean it.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the vacuum slide type carbs, correct? if you had it all the way apart, sometimes the big rubber diaphram on top gets pinched or torn during reassembly,without a good seal,it will not lift the slide, and you get a nasty bog off idle.that,or check to see you have lined it up right to the vacuum port hole in the top of the carb with the hole in the diaphram.

Quick Reply: 03 Grizzly 660 - Not running right after carb work