Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

03 Grizzly 660 - Not running right after carb work

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is adjustable. Floats are plastic, but the tang that the needle attaches too should be thin metal and bendable. Pretty easy to knock out of adjustment if you've been in the carb.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Malachi/others,

Is there a procedure to set the float level? What are the settings? Where to measure at, etc.?

I have my carb off now & am getting ready to go over it again. I am considering putting the Dynojet kit in it while I have it apart.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer

I looked in a manual online & I see the procedure for setting the float level. I also see a procedure for setting the fuel level. Do you guys bother with that?

I don't have a fuel level gauge to set that with, & I see you have to pull the carb back off in order to adjust that...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Yes, this is a process.
Easiest way I've found is to attach a clear piece of hose to the drain on the bottom of the float bowl(can do this with carb off of bike, just keep the carb attached to the fuel line on the bike).
Now run the clear tube up along side of the float chamber to above the carb and open drain screw. Turn on fuel and fill carb. The fuel in the tube will sit at the same height as the fuel in the carb. Can measure the amount in the tube with a caliper or small ruler. Adjust the float as needed. Small increments will go along way.

And your float height may not match your fuel level. I always adjust for fuel level and leave floats where fuel level is correct.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Malachi,

The way you describe it makes it sound pretty simple, actually. Basically what you are saying is that if you set the fuel level to specs using your clear tube method, the float level should automatically be at the correct setting (or very close)?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Range Rover

Yes exactly.

Last one I did, the floats weren't even close to spec(off a couple mm) but the fuel level was correct and bike ran flawless thru all throttle ranges.

With the carb off the bike still, you can tilt it back and forth to make sure you won't get any leaks when your going up hill or down. Might need to adjust the floats accordingly.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

Well, they are calling for snow here & I needed to get this thing back together for plowing. I measured the float level - it was spot on at 13mm. I looked high & low in my garage for a clear tube for the fuel adj., but couldn't find one, so I just left it at that & put the carb back on.

Mixture set at 2.5 turns; Starts pretty easily, but will spit back through the carb a couple times until it is warmed up, maybe for 2 min. or so. After that, it seems to run like a dream.

Has more power than I ever remember it having, will pull into a wheelie right off the line like never before! Can't wait to install a DJ jet kit/K & N air filter & muffler to see what this bad boy can really do!

Right now, I'm like a kid with a new toy on Christmas morning!

...guess I have to "tweak" the mixture setting a bit so it won't spit back through the carb while cold/starting, but after that, it's all good! Thanks to all who gave advice!

Cheers!