Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need to know what to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to know what to buy.

Hello,

Well so I am 13 years old and 5'2 95 lbs and I am looking to buy a quad. My neighbor who is 15 who knows a kid who races in the 450 class bought him slef a nice brand new 2009 Yamaha Yfz450r. He is just beginning and I have never ridden a clutch before and of course he did not want me to try it on his bike. All I know is to put it in 1st gear, give it some RPMs while pulling the clutch and slowely let off and then pull in the clutch and let off throttle and shift up on the foot lever then give it throttle while you let off the clutch slowely ect... It has a ton of power and I don't want to accidently pop the clutch or something just right out on the street in front of our house. Back on topic, I am looking to spend about 1000-1700 FIRM. We don't have the kind of money to get one of the best if not best quad made. I have been looking at some warrior 350's but I dont want to buy one if I am just going to get it and have it be a peice of crap and not work good at all and not be smooth at all. Another concern I had was I would get it and not be able to get out and ride very often. But of course, my neighbor did get a 8500 dollars ATV (or whatever it is) so he probably will have the pressure to get out and ride. I can go riding with him a lot though. So I was just wondering if with that much money if it is even worth it for a beginner like myself to go ahead and buy it or just save up for about 1-2 years and buy me like a Raptor 250 or 350. I have to remember I will be growing and I would like something I can grow into. I actually have about 5 hours of experience on my grandpas Arctic cat 4x4 400 utility riding it around on the dirt roads around the ranch up in Wyoming. I dont know that if I got one if I could ride it very often, other than going with my neighbor a lot. Also my Dad just has I think like an 04 Ford f350 that he keeps at his office and I don't know if I would have to buy a trailer to haul it around. Also, if I get one I plan on doing a lot of trail riding and maybe maybe racing. But I would have trouble with that maybe because I would have kind of a junky quad so I don't know if I could do that yet. I have been mountain biking for about 2 years and am pretty good at that and if I won't be able to buy a quad I will probably just stick with that because it is cheaper.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

It sounds like you need to get something thats not too much to begin with...like a Warrior or 400EX maybe. With your price range you should be able to get a 400EX for under $1700 thats in decent shape. Its a good, solid machine with potential.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beefy46172
It sounds like you need to get something thats not too much to begin with...like a Warrior or 400EX maybe. With your price range you should be able to get a 400EX for under $1700 thats in decent shape. Its a good, solid machine with potential.

Beefy has got it all right man. 450 is a bit to big to start out with, especially if your 13 and 95 pounds. As beefy said Warrior 350 Raptor 350 400ex would all be a good quad for you to start out with. I was 14 and i started out with a Blaster and then i moved up to a Banshee and modded both of them.

I rarely take the blaster out but hey its a good quad for my girl friend.. thinking about giving it to her. Good luck. Quads are tons of fun and will never get boring.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks for that I will wate for a good deal on the local classifieds and maybe go look at a few in the mean time. Ok and how about transporting it when I can't go riding with my neighbor? Will I need to get something to fit it in the back of the truck or should I save up for a trailer. Oh and in the summer we go up to Flaming Gorge (dont know if you know where that is) but it is a very small little town with just a Chevron and a little store and I might be able to ride it around up there but the truck bed would be full with all of our stuff. So I dont know how much a trailer would be but maybe later I will save for one.

One more thing, Do you think I could ride my neighbors yfz450 just out here in the neighborhood? I have never ridden a clutch machine and he thinks I shouldn't leanr on that powerful of a quad.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I would stay off the 450 for learning a clutch. 400EX or Warrior/Raptor 350 fit in the short 6.5' bed of my Dodge Dakota and they also fit in my old S-10.

I would recommend trying to find a 400EX over a Warrior/Raptor. Especially if you can find one of the newer models that has reverse. (older 400EX's don't, all Warrior/Raptor's do)

Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You also might consider taking a safety class. There are a lot of them that are free or very little money that may help you in your decision. Honestly, I don't think I'd want to see someone start on a 450. They are crazy fast and can leave an unskilled rider in a world of hurt. Starting with a smaller quad like a 250 is a good way to start. Remember helmets too. You only get one brain.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep I have a good full face helmet and I may need to buy gear. I also want something to grow into.

Thanks gys.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, all of the 400ex quads in the classifieds are around 2000 or more and if I get a really cheap one it will probably just not even be worth it to buy right?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I talked with my parents and my mom thinks they are just too dangerous and too many deaths with ATV accidents and my dad just said I couldn't get one for sure until next summer because they are too much money and he thinks Im just not ready to get one and he also said we have to rent atvs and ride them in the mountains to see if we really want to get one. I can use about 400-500 maybe in christmas and I already have about 300 saved up and if I sell more stuff I could get another 300 dollars but that is only 900 dollars, then maybe I could work a lot and if Im lucky get total 1000 dollars cash and that probably won't get me a decent condition quad. Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

400ex.......

Or Yamaha Blaster....

But ide definatly go with the 400ex. There very powerfull and have plenty of *****. You just need to learn to take it easy. When i was 6 i started out on the little honda 50 then 8 i started out on a blaster so a ex would be perfect for you...

Quick Reply: Need to know what to buy.