Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs 450's

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee vs 450's

Saw a bunch of people drag racing at the dunes today. Alot of raptors and 450s but no banshees.

Couple dudes asked me if i wanted to race but i turned them down. I was afraid of getting my *** handed to me lol.

Anyways. I am running Toomey tr6 pipes, 280 main jet. V-force 3 reeds, k&n air filter & pods, +4 timing plate, brand new itp hd tired. No porting or any head work done. I always run premium fuel at 32/1 mix ratio.

How would i do against say a piped and jetted 450 in a 200 yard drag?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Should be pretty equal. If anything you'll have slight advantage. Prob come down to who gets off the line. Tires also play big part at the dunes.

Don't be afraid to lose. It's just a drag race.

I have more fun losing than watching.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Koopa
Should be pretty equal. If anything you'll have slight advantage. Prob come down to who gets off the line. Tires also play big part at the dunes.

Don't be afraid to lose. It's just a drag race.

I have more fun losing than watching.
Thats good to hear. Thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

tires make all the difference

Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dupont
tires make all the difference
tires and rider skill....

i've said it before and i'll say it again, i beat out a banshee on my warrior that had the SAME tires as mine only on 9" rims instead of mine which are on 10" rims(both 22" tall tires) puresport realtor tires....wish i could find a bunch somewhere really nice tires. either he was fully stock(mines jetted, bored, the airbox has been ported, and a dg pipe with no spark arrest....and yes i know i'll need one for badlands) or he couldn't shift worth a stick...

as stated before, its more fun losing than it is just watching, get out there and get it, never know till you try.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by draarong2004
tires and rider skill....
.... either he was fully stock...
Ya, I've had big debates with people over that. Stock 'shee's are very corked up. Not much power at all.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

I'll throw in my personal experience.. The only banshees that have beat me on either the YFZ or the KTM 450 have had engine modifications. But then again, the rider has a lot to do with it.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey YFZ660R. What's the deal with your KTM? Noticed you hate it and been waiting for a thread you recently visited to ask.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

As koopa said, banshees are very tame stock. They WILL NOT beat a raptor 660 700 or any of the 450s stock vs stock.

But if you get them a set of pipes, jetting, airfilter & pods it is almost certain you will beat a piped 450.

its amazing what only bolt on mods would to to a banshee. When i bought mine brand new in 2005 it was stock and i couldn't even touch a stock 450.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Originally Posted by Koopa
Hey YFZ660R. What's the deal with your KTM? Noticed you hate it and been waiting for a thread you recently visited to ask.
To make a long story short, it's an unreliable pos. Don't get me wrong, it's probably one of the best 450's out there. But being fast, quick and having great handling isn't gonna eliminate the fact that i've had many problems already within a year span.

First two weeks of ownership which was about 4 hours of riding, I noticed my swing arm and axle were loose, so they replaced my chain, the rear sprocket and tightened all the other ****. After I got it back, I was already upset because a brand new bike shouldn't have problems like the ones I had. After maybe another 5 hours of riding, a slipping sound starting coming from my clutch case. By that point I was pissed, and I became even more infuriated when they tried blaming it on me for not knowing how to drive the bike. I race professionally and have been driving dirtbikes/atv's since the mid 90's. KTM refused to do anything about it, and lets not even get started with the dealership, their personnel specially their mechanics are useless. Other little stuff like broken heel guards also throws more gas into the fire. One thing to consider is during that span of time, the bike didn't see the track, or any form of racing. I cruised on it in other words. So that's my story.

Other than that, like I've stated, it's an overall good bike, especially for mx. If i would've known that the quality and reliability was an issue though, I would have waited for the YFZ450R, boy do I miss my YFZ...

Quick Reply: Banshee vs 450's