Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster's death defies my logic..

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster's death defies my logic..

here's the story: I put a completely new top end in my buddies 89 blaster after he discovered the previous owner re-ringed a cracked piston. so i get it put together and it starts/runs just fine. cleaned the carb, fresh fuel, inspected everything, whole nine yards. after about 10 hours of ridding i take a look the head off and take a peak inside, everything is just fine. re-torque head and continue ridding. Its a nice cool day, maybe 55 F out, and we where ridding around a nice open field. for 2 minutes we all road over this mini dirt pile. thats when it happened. buddy said the blaster stalled for no reason a couple times, he was able to restart it no problem. so we went back to the truck and it siezed! pored water on it to cool it down and get it to unstick but no go...

i honestly cant contemplate that 2minutes of slow riding was all it took to seize a piston! jetting was spot on too, 32:1, no spooge, and plenty of smoke, great throttle response. i just cant believe it....

Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

oh jeeze i am sorry to hear that. Are there any major engine mods on the blaster? Has it been ported? do you have a 240 bbk on it?

Blasters liek to seize up ALOT if the head work is not done correctly. But i feel for you man, nothing is worse then spending money and seeing it going into the toilet.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

no engine mods at all.... actually had a partial sleeve put in it to get it back to stock piston size. it just upset as the mechanic because i put it together correctly, and after 10 hours had no blow by the rings or signs of wear/damage.

i didnt know blasters sieze a lot....good to know

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cherokee99
no engine mods at all.... actually had a partial sleeve put in it to get it back to stock piston size. it just upset as the mechanic because i put it together correctly, and after 10 hours had no blow by the rings or signs of wear/damage.

i didnt know blasters sieze a lot....good to know

Well if your blaster has no engine mods it should be a rather reliable bike. I own a 240cc blaster and a Banshee. My blaster is a good quad but if i drive it a lot and pin it everywhere i go i will be looking forward to a top end rebuild in no time.

Were you driving through mud or moss at the time? They are air cooled 2-stroke bikes so they like to over heat. Also how big is your friend? i personally think Blasters are good for people 140 lbs or less.

If you keep a blaster stock though maybe a pipe airfilter and jetting it will be a very reliable bike if you take care of it. Change the oil often and always run 32/1 mix ratio.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Yeah, engines don't just seize with no cause in Japanese quads. Yamaha and Honda both go out of their way to ensure that kind of defect doesn't make it to the consumer or to clean it up if it does happen. If it seized up that quick someone did something wrong along the way in the rebuild or something else is broken.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you reassembled everything, did you check your ring end gap and get it to spec? That could do it....especially if it was running hot.