Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DEVIL'S BACKBONE trip report

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little after 8 AM this morning, Richard from Richardson (Raptor), Charles from Denton (Raptor) and a couple of his buddies (400EX and Banshee) and myself (Raptor) met at the square in Saint Jo (a Kodiak friend showed up at the ranch later).

While we were waiting for others, Farmer Joe drove by and said there was 1 1/2" hail coming our way. We took off for cover and safely dodged the hail, but I got hit in the back of the neck by one and it hurt like hell!

Shortly afterwards, it cleared up and we headed for the ranch. It was MUDDY and I had not been there since the big ice storm. The fun trail through the woods had trees broken off everywhere from the ice. It looked like a bomb exploded. We spent our first lap stopping a lot and moving trees (or trying to find a way around them). Once we made it through, the next round went much FASTER .

Later, I punctured my left rear sidewall and while we were waiting to see if the plug would hold, Charles went down to the container - which I didn't have the key to - were 2 Prairie 400s are kept. A few minutes later he came back and said the container is now open - he had PICKED THE LOCK! Later, my father-in-law asked what kind of guys I was running around with ? We started up the Prairies so Richard could try them out and I rode one just to be different, but realized my father-in-law had filled it up with diesel. It had been drained and filled back up with gas, but it smoked like crazy for a few minutes.

To make a short story long, we had a great time. Wish more could have made it. Maybe we can plan another one soon.

By the way, we found out a 400EX can do a 360 hydroplane across water rather well - with some pretty funny results .

Bart
www.members.home.net/bartkim

Old 02-25-2001, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

I want to thank BIRDofPREY again for inviting us to ride. The land is a great place to ride, that would just get better by being ridin on more, there hills from small to big that could have more trails and hill climbs on. If they put a oval track and MX track it would be awsome. They all ready have a bulldoser to make MX track :-)

My Shee was muddy yesterday, I bet the car wash place loves me for bring my four wheeler.

Charles

Old 02-25-2001, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Charles_Banshee,

Glad you had a good time. I hope I got the names correct in the first post. I was thinking your friend in the red F350 w/ the Raptor was Charles.

Also, a special THANK YOU to Richard for loaning me his patch kit. I still owe you lunch . I hope we don't loose you to the 'sport-utility' group, but I do have to admit, in many cases they are much easier (and sometimes more fun) to ride.

I'm now out to wash the beast, she looks better in blue than brown!

Anyone up for another (or a 2nd) trip???

Bart
www.members.home.net/bartkim

Old 02-25-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

BIRDofPREY!
Wimpy!Wimpy!Wimpy! If only you would have had your helmet on!
Thanks for the great time yesterday! You have a beautiful place. Thanks also to the others for letting this old man tag along and slowing you down. And yes, I did like riding your Prairie 400. Now, if it just had the punch of the Raptor...
I just wish we had of taken time out from having so much fun and taken some pictures. Especially, of the 400ex on it's back from the hydropaneing.
I took a few pics. after I got home and the Raptor was still on the trailer and will post them on the Raptor Riders of North Texas site after they are developed. Those that decided not to come because of the weather really missed out on a fun ride. Thanks again for a fun day.

Old 02-25-2001, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorrider2001,

Actually, I HAD to wear the helmet while I was on the Raptor. Somehow, I believe the Yamaha engineers purposely designed the Raptor to through water and mud STRAIGHT IN YOUR FACE. It could not be aimed any more perfectly!!

However, it does feel kinda funny wearing a helmet while on the Prairies. But after trying to keep up with everyone on the hotrods, I probably should have worn it.

P.S. Guess what I left locked up in the container (which I couldn't get open since Charles picked the lock)? MY HELMET.

Old 02-25-2001, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Your not mixed up, We are both Charles...
BTW,Don't sell that Raptor, Charles & I and his Brother-in-law's are sure to plan a trip to Little Sahara this spring.

Charles

Old 02-25-2001, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, the Wimpy part and helmet referral was to not having it on during the hail storm and getting peppered and not while riding the Prairie. Since you left the helmet there, you have an excuse to go back. It was a great time and made some new friends. I hope we can ride together again...

Old 02-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like fun. I went to Jill's moto-x track today not to muddy. Post agian when you plan a trip if able I will go.

Old 02-25-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Charles_Banshee,

I'm going to wait and see how much free time I have after we have our baby next month. As of now, I'm planning on keeping it. But, if it sits in the garage every weekend, then I may reconsider.

Let us know when you start planning the Little Sahara trip. Maybe we can get a big convoy and all go together.

Old 02-27-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you guys had a great time. On Friday night we had TONS! of rain, I thought it would never stop. I woke up around 6am on Sunday and the local weather was reporting 70-80mph winds out here in Azle right outside Fort Worth.
I went back to sleep and woke up again at 8am and the winds were so strong! there would have been no way I could have loaded up the quad or even made it to my truck!

My sister and brother in laws down the street said that Terry (her husband) was almost blown out the door. I called Eric (lives about 5 blocks away) and told him I wasnt going today.

We ended up going to Rocky Ridge on Sunday.

Let me know if yall decided to plan another trip and I'll make it.

Quick Reply: DEVIL'S BACKBONE trip report