Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 Front Diff question ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 400 Front Diff question ??

I have a 2003 kodiak 400 4x4 that dose not have Diff lock does any one know of any way too make it fully locked when the 4 wheel drive is engaged, i know other models have a selector to do this but mine does not.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Josh,I am new to atv's but have a long history in auto.I have had some similar questions as You.My 2002 Kodiak has standard open Diff's, and we all know power goes to the wheel with the least resistance.In the world of auto racing,there are many options for differentail engagements,both front & rear.I have had no luck trying to find what aftermarket options are available for either lockers,limited slip,Etc.I do realizize any company will only develop these optional drives to the most popular [ & most prolific vehicles ] out there.But I'd love to here from some riders who have uncovered some new products out there. Anyone out there who know's of final drive options for Us Kodiak fans,Please chime in !!! keith

Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer

highlifter has a detroit locker for the '03 kodiak. here's the link: High Lifter ATV Products & Accessories - High Lifter's Detroit Gearless Locker 3

Old 01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default To PSnewbie...

Thanks so much for the info.It's been like pulling teeth to find anyone with an array of aftermarket performance dtuff for my Kodiak.It may not be the best,but it's what I got!!! I already have bought 2" bigger Mudlites & wheels & they're great.You mentioned the Hi-lifter Detroit locker.Maybe I should be called "newbie" cuz ,Is the brand Hi-lifter & the type a Detroit locker ? I auto 4WD,Detroit locker is a company [that of course makes lockers ].Was it an easy instal ? Was loading & shimming required ? You also mentioned Raptors H-bars.Are those from a Yam. Raptor & are they a direct replacement.I'm guessing you did it for leverage.Now I'm gonna say something lamer,I didn't know I had an oil cooler.You metioned the "Moose" one.Finally,are there better than factory skid plates & armor out there for my 2002 YFM 400 kodiak ? I know I asked alot,but You sure seem to know the gear. Where are you sourcing the stuff from ? Thanks again, keith

Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

The website is called High LIfter, but Tractech actually makes the locker. I don't know how the install goes, my wolverine has a limited slip from the factory so I haven't really needed to investigate other options yet.

The raptor handlebars are a direct fit for me, they have weighted bars in each end to lessen vibrations and allow me to get a better feel for what I'm doing.

I don't know if you have an oil cooler or not, but mine is because I am air-cooled. If you are liquid cooled you won't have an oil cooler.

There are better skidplates out there, DG has some, Ricochet makes some nice complete kits, and others do exist that are escaping me atm.

I price most things through DennisKirk.com, but other than that I've gotten most things through my local dealer and ebay. Good luck, Rich

Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow PSnewbie,you're like Santa .You answered all my ques. in one shot.Thank you.I've got plenty of places to shop now. keith

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

PSnewbie,going thru the dennis kirk site for my KODIAK amazed me.I didn't know so many companies had stuff for my quad. Now if you can help with advice on how to increase my personal wealth .... keith

Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Front locker ?

Hey PSnewbie,I have a hypothetical riding Que. about having a front locking Diff. Please keep in mind I'm new to all this & have had a crash course in hill & rock climbing in the midst of a pretty good New England winter.While i have no doubt a locking Diff. in back would be a huge asset,would'nt a locked front Diff. be a negative in 99% of most "technical" riding situations ? I'm picturing losing traction going up a steep hill,off camber, on a very slippery surface.Would'nt the inside wheel [ in front,with a locked axle ] cause you to lose the front end,down-hill ? As opposed to having a standard Diff [ with weight on the loaded wheel,not spinning but maintaining steering ] be a more optimal condition ? Plus,ya didn't have to spend any $$ to have that advantage. Please don't take me wrong,I've learned from your past advice,& that's all I want to do,is learn from riders with experience [ unlike a nudnik novice ]. I'd like to hear if my idea makes any sense to folks [unlike me ] who have been there,done that. Thanks again , keith

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well, first off you don't need a locking diff in back because ATV rearends are already "locked" by design. And though I don't quite understand the question 100%. I can tell you that when it comes to ATV's you always have a give and take, if you want to race on the dunes then you can't go through the mud. And if you want to go through mud then you do things that take away agility(like big tires and tall lifts). The one thing that I got from your question was the fact that you want to do a lot of technical riding? if so then you need to weigh the pros and cons of the locker. From what I know, with the gearless locker it's not truly locked. It allows the wheels to spin but gives most of the power(if not all) to the slowest turning wheel.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks,PS....

After your very logical response that my modification ideas would leave a compromise,I guess I'll leave well enogh alone.Perhaps a good winch would be a safer addition.I hjust recieved the "Moose gear" C.V.,chassis & rear diff. skids.I figured that was a safe way to get the " Gotta change something" syndrome outta me for now. Thanks for your input, keith

Quick Reply: Kodiak 400 Front Diff question ??