Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What activates the TORS. What do you have to do to make it shut the motor down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What activates the TORS. What do you have to do to make it shut the motor down? My brother has a 96 Blaster and we think there's a problem with the TORS but when we took it apart we couldn't figure out how the thing works. I was under the impression that the quad would have to have the throttle stuck open AND the quad be tipped [either to the side or the back] for it to work. But all that's in there is a little switch that only seems to be closed [contacts connected] at idle. If you remove the switch do you have to connect the wires or keep them apart?

Old 02-26-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

It will not totally shut down the motor, it just will bring it down to idle speed and wont let you revv it any higher. I think its suposta go off when the throttle sticks open? But have never seen it happen. To remove the TORS I do believe that you follow the wires from the throttle to one of the two boxes under the hood, disconnect it, (this will set off the TORS, you might want to try and start it like this to see what happens) and unplug the wires coming out of the top of the carb, just leave them unplugged. At first I thought I had a problem with my TORS but after disconnecting just the box and starting it up I knew it had nothing to do with the TORS, when it goes off you touch the throttle and it boggs..

What makes you think there is a problem with it?

Old 02-26-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen (maybe that's just one face of the TORS), it shuts the engine when the throttle contacts, but the carbs don't (like you released the throttle, but the slides are still open).
I don't think it would do anything when the quad tips over, since I've had it tipped over, and engine still running.
I don't really got into it since it's sitting on the garage floor, waiting for me to get tired of the crappy twist.

Old 02-27-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

When you take the switch apart it seems that it is a normally closed switch while the quad is at idle. So my thinking is that once you applied pressure to the throttle the contacts would open and it would not run properly. If this is the case then what activates the TORS. certainly opening the throttle wouldn't do it, but that is the only thing that makes sense while looking only at the switch and not knowing how the rest of the TORS works.

Old 02-27-2001, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

The tors works like this. There are 2 (3 for a banshee) switches and a control module. 1 switch is in the throttle, the other (2) are in the top of the carb. A reduced ground wire from the control unit is split into each of these switches. If the circuit is disrupted then the control module grounds its main power out through a sepearate source and shuts the motor down.When the throttle sticks open, the power to the engine is killed (grounded through the control module) When the bike is sitting there, the throttle switch is open and the carb switch is closed. When you push the throttle the throttle switch closes and the carbs switchs open. Thus when the throttle is closed and the carbs are open, you have 2 open switch. Open = No current flowing through them. I have probably just confused you there but read it a couple of times and it should make sense.

Old 02-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Now I get it! What must be happening is that his throttle switch is messed up so that when he is on the throttle that switch isn't closing and the one in the carb opens so it won't run. We figured out that the TORS was the problem the other night when he pulled the switch out of the carb and taped it so the switch is always closed.

Old 02-28-2001, 05:55 AM
Pro Rider

Although I didnt mention this before, The TORS unit also acts as a governor if the park-brake is on, I believe if the clutch switch is closed (current flowing through it) then the motor will only rev to about 2800rpm.Another factor which will affect the TORS system is the free play in the throttle, If the throttle cable is to tight the switches will not open/close in unison. These two things might be something else to look into.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

It couldn't be either of those things on his because the parking brake switch is gone. Apparently it got torn off during a rollover when he let his "friends" borrow it. Ant the throttle was too loose if anything because his "friends" were messing with the idle screw and basically destroyed it. So far the tape that he's using is working. We'll have to get in there and get it straightened out when it warms up a little. THANKS for the help.