Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need help with brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with brakes!!!

i need help redoing all the brakes on my 2001 wolverine. i put a rebuild kit on the front master cylinder cause my front brakes weren't working pads were good and weren't leaking fluid anywhere but it wasn't pumping anything into the lines really. so i redit it and thought it was workin better then hooked up the master cylinder and tried to start bleeding them and still wasn't pumpin hardly any fluid out!?!?! so i took off the main brake line comin from the master and started pumping and it just barely comes out....shouldn't the brake fluid be comin out a bunch from there on like every pull of the lever???? i really need any help i can get on this!! lol

thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes fluid should come out if you are pumping the master cylinder. It sounds like it needs to be replaced. Just to confirm if you plug the brake line from the master cylinder and fill the master and fit the bladder and cap and pump it you get nothing?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

i'll have to try to plug it close to the master. cause i just found tonight a leak i think by the T in the line. where the rubber hose T's and goes into the metal lines. i saw a bunch of fluid so do u think that that could be causing it to not get pressure and pump out of the master??? cause i rebuilt the inside of the master cylinder with all new parts and i know nothing is clogged or dirty and i know its all in right. so if i got a new master cylinder it wouldn't really affect anything (I THINK) haha because i redid the whole thing. what do u think??

Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds like the master should be fine then since you rebuilt it. So if you connect everything up and go to bleed the system everytime that you pump the brake a little fluid should come out not a bunch. it takes several pumps of the lever to get the reservoir to go down.

I would suggest that you tighten everything up and fill the reservoir up and bleed the system of air. Start with the bleed nipple farthest from the master cylinder and work over to the other side. once you see pure fluid you should be good to go. Every pump does not actually pump a ton of fluid, so if you were looking at the clear tube connected to the bleed nipple the actual fluid flow is pretty small.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

ok thanks that answered my biggest question. yeah i'm gettin a little fluid out when i pump it and i was thinkin it still wasn't workin good cause i figured that is should be pumpin alot more out. so now i know. and i also didn't see that leak in the T in the lines before so i think thats another reason i'm not gettin pressure. so i'm ordering another upper brake hose and T connection today. hopefully i should be good to go...???

Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

another thing i forgot to ask is...when i'm pumpin the handle it has like no pressure at all. is it supposed to be that easy or loose when i'm first puttin everything back together and gettin the system filled up. ??

thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

it's real loose until all the air is gone and the bleed valve is closed and you put the rubber bladder in . Also you may want to try a set of speed bleeders. that may help the job go quicker for you.