Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1999 yamaha bear tracker spitting and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 yamaha bear tracker spitting and sputtering

i bought my wife a used bear tracker a few years ago for christmas. its been a pretty good machine, but since we got it its had issues that have been getting really aggrivating.

the quad will start and idle just fine. but when you are riding it, it will randomly spit and sputter and loose power.
it cant climb hills unless you get a long running start, otherwise you start going up the hills and it will just bog down and stop climbing. even with the throttle all the way in, it wont climb, just spits and sputters. its not like a clutch slipping problem, more of a no power problem.
also, when the choke is all the way in, it idles good, but has no power
with the choke all the way out, it idles high, but has better power. driving with the choke all the way out is the only way i can get it to climb hills.

new plug....no fix
rebuilt carb...no fix
new carb...no fix

im getting real aggrivated with this quad.
any ideas?
thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

have you adjusted the valves,or done a compression/leak down test on it yet?Maybe the cam is shot in it or worn out?I would say usually when a coil starts goin bad,it will be fine cold an then the machine will cut out before quitting completely before it cools down again.I would do the compression leak down test 1st an go from there. you will then know if you need a rebuild or valve adjustment .Also just because a new carb is put on doesnt mean its jetted rich enough to give you power as a lean carb or jeting will do that as overly rich will 2.good luck an hope this helps?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was just trying to find info a little bit ago about adjusting the valves, but have had no luck.

the beartrackers came with too big of a carb stock, so i dont think the it is under jetted.

i can give a compression test a try aslong as i can gind out what the stock compression should be