Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine oil filter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When replacing the wolverine oil filter, the old one had slots in the rubber gasket at one end..
I purchased a new one and the new one did not have slots in the rubber gasket,, does it need the slots to hold it in or to slide it in place,,,?
did they give me the wrong one,,,??or is this right , being that factory parts are sometimes different than the stock ones you buy???

thanks.....

Old 02-27-2001, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

I would take out the filter, look inside the cover or in the engine to see if there are any grooves where the filter would fit into, if not than your set to go.....

Old 02-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

On my 99 there is a hole in one end and the other end has a blue rubber piece on the back side. I am try to do this all from memory so it might not be exactly right. The end with the hole goes towards the motor the end with thrubber piece goes to the outside. Also you should be able to just clean it and use it again. Unless it is damaged in some way because it is made out od a very fine wire screen. I hope this helps you out.

Old 02-27-2001, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Wolverine51.

I just changes my Oil Filter on Sunday and pulled the old one out and it had some indentions on the rubber which looked like slots.
The new one did not have this, but I paid more attention on which end goes where.
The valve on the filter faces out towards you and when the assembly goes together, I found that it does not nest up against the motor like one would think. I tightened down the assembly and filled er up with oil. Ran it a bit but didn't notice any leakage.

I haven't ridin it since, but I forgot to check the top head to see if oil was getting up there.
That's the next step. I think all is well.

Boom

Old 02-28-2001, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

i changed my oil a month ago. the old filter had slots the new one didnt. havent had any problems.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

Hey boom, what does it mean if oil is leaking out through the head? I noticed mine leaks but all my other Honda 3 wheelers did this and it never gave me any problems.. I've noticed also that when I first start riding my Wolv. that if I give it a good shot of gas when in 1st or 2nd that it bogs out on me. Once I drive it for a bit its stops doing it. I usually let it warm up pretty good before riding it but I was just wondering if this is normal or could it be running lean or rich. I couldn't help notice the carb. thread and was just wondering??

Thanks

Old 03-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Blowing oil out of the head is not a good sign. Sound like a blown gasket or something.
On my first valve adjustment at the dealers, I got the bike back and had oil dripping from hoses that were under the tank. Found out that it was leaking from the Top on and out of a blow by hose I guess. Seems that if not enough oil gets removed from the op head, it will blow out a hose and onto your bike. I only noticed this when going up a hill or when the motor was under some heavy work. As of today, it has stopped and I haven't seem any evidence of any more oil leaking.
At least probably not till the next oil change..lol!.

Boom