Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What will 1000 bucks get ya for Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joeyd, we will have to get together some time and rip it up...
Are u gonna race moto-cross,if so which district?...Your situation is a tough 1, if u could spring $1300-1500 bucks u could get zero preload front shocks and wider a-arms. That leaves the rear shock mod (zps) and a wider axle..one thing for sure the rear end needs to be wider. Im gonna try wheel spacers in the back until i get my axle, if i bent the stocker no biggie. Bottom line is u need it wide and lowered..hope i helped

-88 250r (gone but not forgotten)
-98 mx banshee #875 (dist 3)
-01 raptor

Old 02-27-2001, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

If your CRAPTOR is still in pretty good shape you might trade it and 1000 bucks and get a DS 650 that hauls *** straight out of the box...

Old 02-27-2001, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

I have a feeling to mx we are going to need reinforced wheels on the back and the front. Grooved car tires and turftamers on the back. Next, the axle, shocks, then A-arms. I don't think you really need the rears until they start fading.

I saw a Raptor race a couple of weeks ago with a set of the aformentioned tire set and he did fairly well.

You know these machines are not race ready, they are tall and narrow but they have the horsepower and revving to do well if you can get it to the ground.

Mine will bring the rear around with the throttle, where before, when I tried it, it would two wheel and high side.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms, DuraBlue axle, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar

Old 02-27-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

I like the a-arms from LoneStar. They are very well built. But you can tell the difference in weight. They are quite a bit heavier than the stock.

Originally I ordered the TimmyBoy Designs a-arms but they but they kept putting me off till I cancelled and got the LoneStar. The LoneStar seems better built than the TimmyBoy.

With the +3 arms I can go into the corners on the throttle where before I would be highsiding and rolling up. I would have liked to see if the aftermarket shocks would have stopped it but I put the a-arms and shocks on at the same time.

Maybe you could buy the shocks a little stiffer and turn the fronts around for an extra inch on each side and may get by without the a-arms. I would have liked to find that out.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms, DuraBlue axle, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42 rear sprocket

Old 02-28-2001, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

Too bad the Raptor, can beat it in a Drag Race and
match it on top, despite the Raptor's engine having a lower compression ratio(actually more of a piston function)and being tuned for a wider power curve as opposed to hi-peak narrow curve.

Before you start spouting off about the DS's victories; In it's 1st Quarter the Raptor had more
top 10 placements in the Baja than the DS has had in it's 2 year history, The Roof of Africa? Bombardier spent $$$$ sending a team to a obscure race only to have some Privateers on EX's and Raptors beat the majority of their hired guns.

DirtWheels shootout quotes; howcome so many love to mention the "Sand Drag", but so many missed the picture of the Raptor leading the DS up a hill
and the Quote "the Raptor usually nips the DS in the bud on uphill runs"(infering that the results were consistant, unlike a lot of DW's reporting), I tend to think uphill runs are as good if not better than sand drags, if one is looking for a indication of power.

No, I am not bashing the DS, but those who think a stock DS will run and hide on a stock Raptor
are misguided, with equal pipe & carb mods to both, the Raptor will match the DS's peak H.P.
and still start out stronger and rev out longer.

As far as the Raptor winning a Dune shootout against the DS? not a chance stock.

$1000 to spend on a Raptor, Slip on, K&N Air filter(no jet kit needed at this stage) and a Dura Blue Axel(personnel preferance on width).

The stock shocks can be adjusted to work well, and as far as the tires? going over a few PSI helps with sidewall flex, traction is not a problem.

Hope this helps,
along the way!

Y2K

To build a real racer will cost more than $1000 for most any Quad out there, exceptions being ready to race models IE Phillips, Last Rebel, VLS and maybe a few others I have never heard of.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Thats why you had to do all the WOODS mod on your ds right?

ok im sure your ds it the sh@t .
All of our RAPTORS have to be the problem with the YAMAHA Fourm

Old 02-28-2001, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah man we should get together..there arn't to many guys from the east coast in here let alone NY. I go to Jersey to Chatsworth, they have a great track there. Where do you ride? I want to get back into Moto-x maybe do a couple of races this year...let me know where you go. How afar are you from long island? Thanks for the info

Raptor 2001 Blue
White Bros Eseries pipe
GYTR Front Bumper

Old 02-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Last time i went to the track there was a guy there with a DS and he looked like a real Poser..was that you? cause he sure wasn't doing laps....

he was just riding back in forth in the parking area doing wheelies....

Old 02-28-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

i think that is the path i am going to take. Axle first the the A-arms..do you feel a big difference with yours? Has anyone seen or tried the X-33 form durablue yet?

Old 02-28-2001, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

wow, give Ron woods $3000+ for junky parts and have to spend $200 for a tach so you dont Bomb the Bomb out. That makes sense.

Quick Reply: What will 1000 bucks get ya for Raptor