Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 4X4

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new to me 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4X4 with a winch and "Moose" plow. Guy that sold it to me was 70 and just wanted it gone. Has 214 original miles on it. He used it to do his driveway....

Oil looked clean, he's gave me all kinds of Yamaha books with it, and told me it needs a battery.

What & where do I get a battery for it? Our local Yamaha dealer went belly up. I'll read the books, but what maint. should be performed first before I do a ride on it.

This is all new to me as my experience was racing moto-X in the 80's. My kids talked me into this, and the wife said "you bought WHAT"

Hey what can I say, the price was right and the kids want dad to ride with them

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
John

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider
Wink

Originally Posted by johnpma
Hi everyone,

Just bought a new to me 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4X4 with a winch and "Moose" plow. Guy that sold it to me was 70 and just wanted it gone. Has 214 original miles on it. He used it to do his driveway....

Oil looked clean, he's gave me all kinds of Yamaha books with it, and told me it needs a battery.

What & where do I get a battery for it? Our local Yamaha dealer went belly up. I'll read the books, but what maint. should be performed first before I do a ride on it.

This is all new to me as my experience was racing moto-X in the 80's. My kids talked me into this, and the wife said "you bought WHAT"

Hey what can I say, the price was right and the kids want dad to ride with them

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
John
Hey John,

Welcome to the Forums! Personally I would change the Oil and the Diff Fluid. On my 07 Grizz 450 (same as Kodiak 450) I just use 75W90 GL5 Synthetic Blend Gear Oil. I change it once a season. I would also Drain the gas tank (simply remove the gas line from the carb and open the tank valve. Hopefully the Carb isn't dirt and doesn't need to be cleaned. You should also clean the Air filter. Oh yea - don't forget to hit the grease fittings.... I honestly believe there are only 9! (4 on the Rear IRS spindles, 1 on each U-joint and 1 on each of the driveshafts)

In regards to the Battery, your machine calls for a YTX20L-BS (270cca), same battery I have in my Machine, which I just bought a new one.... Except I bought the higher CCA one which is $10 more. That one is the Yuasa YTX20HL-BS (310cca). The place to buy that battery is: Tri-state Battery. They offer free shipping on ALL orders over $50.

Tri State Battery Online Catalog

I had to work graveyard shift Tues into Wed. and I ordered my battery online @ 4:53am and at 3:37pm that day it was Shipped!! It is scheduled to arrive ay my place today!

Welcome to the World of ATV's you have a nice machine! I love mine!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Range Rover

i agree with Crazysteve, i have ordered a batt. from them, also you local walmart sells batteries that are machine spicific, thats where i bought my latest battery for my 05 kodiak.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default kodiak

Congrats John!

Nice quad!
Like Steve says, change all fluids and drain gas. That's exactly what I did on my low mile (170 miles) 07 Grizzly 450 I just bought last week. With such low mles on yours, gas could be stale, especially with the 10% ethenol they use now!
Go to Walmart and see what they have for batteries. Get the correct amperage, or one step bigger if using a winch.

I highly recommend Valvaline DuraBlend semi-synthetic 80-90 gear oil for you final & diff gear boxes. It is a hypoid oil, which you want.

Jeff

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys!! for the suggestions and help

More questions:

The winch cable is all fray on the end for about 2-3 inches. It appears to be around 3/16" diameter. What is the best way to cut this and repair it? The guy gave me a whole bag of stuff for the winch. Alum crimp sleeves, some kind of rubber stopper thing, hooks & shackles ect...

Also it may sound stupid but where the heck is the best place to buy a helmet online??? All I have is my old snowmobile helmet (full face) 20 years old

We seemed to have lost all our dealers where I live.....

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys!! for the suggestions and help

More questions:

The winch cable is all fray on the end for about 2-3 inches. It appears to be around 3/16" diameter. What is the best way to cut this and repair it? The guy gave me a whole bag of stuff for the winch. Alum crimp sleeves, some kind of rubber stopper thing, hooks & shackles ect...

Also it may sound stupid but where the heck is the best place to buy a helmet online??? All I have is my old snowmobile helmet (full face) 20 years old

We seemed to have lost all our dealers where I live.....
My thoughts on Helmets online --- Do IT!

But do this first -- goto your local Shop and try on the Specific Brand of helmet you want to buy just so you have the size just right! Each helmet manufacture calls Medium a diffrent size... stupid I know... I bought a $180 HJC helmet on Closeout (previous years model) for $70 shipped from Bikebandit.com !! So there are deals out there and now is a time to buy motocross helmets as it is still winter

Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

Crazysteve, I can't find a grease fitting to save my life anywhere on the machine. I looked high and low

Did the fluids, everything looked great. Got my battery good to go there.

Almost ready for my first ride

Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Exclamation

Crazysteve, I can't find a grease fitting to save my life anywhere on the machine. I looked high and low

Did the fluids, everything looked great. Got my battery good to go there.

Almost ready for my first ride
John,

Shoot me an Email --- I will send you the service manual

snowwmax@yahoo.com

Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

just bought a 2010 gmax motocross helmet from rocky's great outdoors here in burton michigan for $89.99. great helmet. check them out on the web always have great prices and deals going on.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just curious on how to change the front and rear end diff fluids, if anyone can help. Mine is a 2005 kodiak 450. Where can i get a copy of the owners manual?

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 4X4