Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bearings In Grizzly 660 Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearings In Grizzly 660 Differential?

I'm helping a friend replace the bearings in the rear differential on their 660 Grizzly. The front bearing is bad, and while we're at it we are going to replace the 2 axle bearings and seals. How do you remove the axles from the diff? Is there anything else we need to know? I've never messed with any 4x4's, shafts, or independent rear suspension before, everything I have is chain drive!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am not that familiar with the 660 but the guys at Grizzly Riders Forums - A Yamaha Grizzly Enthusiast Site are and can give you more info on the 660!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Not saying you don't know what you are doing, but you might want to consider taking the rear drive (it's not really a differential) out, and take it and the new bearings to a shop to have them remove the old and press the new ones in for you. Might cost a hundred or so to get it done, but well worth it to have someone with the right knowledge and proper tools for installation handle something so critical as rear drive unit bearings.

Oh yeah....before you go any further, get a factory service manual...not a clymers or Haynes, but a Yamaha factory service manual...cost about $35 to $40 but is WELL worth it for all the tech info you get...it's what the pro mechanics use when they are working on them

Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
Not saying you don't know what you are doing, but you might want to consider taking the rear drive (it's not really a differential) out, and take it and the new bearings to a shop to have them remove the old and press the new ones in for you. Might cost a hundred or so to get it done, but well worth it to have someone with the right knowledge and proper tools for installation handle something so critical as rear drive unit bearings.

Oh yeah....before you go any further, get a factory service manual...not a clymers or Haynes, but a Yamaha factory service manual...cost about $35 to $40 but is WELL worth it for all the tech info you get...it's what the pro mechanics use when they are working on them
Thanks for the replies, guys. What is the difference in a differential and rear drive? I thought if you had ring and pinion gears, that would be considered a differential? I got the 'rear drive' out, and I was definately going to take it to my dealer and let them press the old bearings out and the new ones in. I was having trouble getting the axles out, but after doing some research, I found out you just jerk on them to pull them out.

Do I need new axle clips when it all goes back together, and what kind of gear oil do I put back in?