Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode dirtbikes as a teenager and switched to ATV's. Pros and cons of dirtbikes are they're fun to ride, cheaper, better suspension than ATV's, you usually stay cleaner in the mud than on an ATV, and they will go through almost anything. Plus there are only 2 tires to buy, and only 1 set of front brake pads!

Cons are they require much more concentration while riding to judge the trail so that your tires don't get caught in a rut or on a log that will throw you off balance. If you ride in the back of the pack when it's dusty, your visibility could slow you down because you can't see the trail. We usually put the dirtbikes in the back anyway because no one likes getting hit with the constant 30' roostertail shooting off the back tire. The motocross bikes (YZ, RM, KX, CR) don't come with a light for night rides, but there are lighting kits available. In my experiences the dirtbikes wreck more often, but usually there are not as many injuries because you can just lay the bike down and jump off of it. Usually if you wreck an ATV the injuries could be more severe, and it's harder to get away from it if it starts flipping.

At your size, a 125 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke motocross bike should be fine.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

Thanks man If I get a yz 125, how often do you have to change the piston and rings

Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by dupont
Thanks man If I get a yz 125, how often do you have to change the piston and rings
Everytime you blow it up! If you mix your fuel/oil correctly, your carb jetting is set correctly, and you don't hold it wide open for long periods of time, under normal riding conditions your piston and rings should last a few years until it needs rebuilding.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

Thanks, so im thinking either a yz 125 or a ttr 230. I am a yamaha guy so it is going to be yamaha

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Raptor450
under normal riding conditions your piston and rings should last a few years until it needs rebuilding.
I disagree with this. Your bike will let you know for sure because you will start to notice a big decrease in power. But these are high reving engines and at the very least I would say after a season it should be done if you want to keep the performance it was desigend for. Sure you can wait a few years but you will suffer because of it. A $100 and a few hours of your time to keep your bike in tip top shape is well worht it. Like I said before when I raced I replaced them after every race. When I stopped racing and I rode a lot I would do it about twice a year. Trust me youll no when it needs done. A YZ125 would be perfect! These are really nice and to keep cost down look for like a 2000 model 2 stroke and you will be very happy!! Kepp us posted!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

I found someone that wants to trade his 2001 cr125 with:
Twin air air filter
FMF SST fatty exhaust
Vforce carbon fiber reeds and reed basket
Pro taper EVO handlebars
Handle bar risers
Pro taper grips
Sunline clutch perch and lever
Renthal larger rear sprocket (I believe its 62 teeth, 52 is stock)
Smaller front sprocket (12 tooth, stock is 13)
Wiseco piston, rings rebuilt about 15 hours on top end
Tusk heavy duty top end gaskets
New water pump and crank case housing gaskets
Renthal chain
Black seat cover

for my 2003 yamaha warrior 350 his runs perfect. what do you think?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

man keep that sweet warrior ive always preferred my quad over my bikes

Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

I am deffenantly getting a bike. I have been riding quads for over 10 years and I am getting bored.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

Well go sit on it then sit on a YZ I promise you that you will like the YZ better. But dont get all caught up in its a bike and you want it now thing either. It is better to be patient trust me. And I dont trust when people say it has been rebuilt. It seems as though every time I see a bike or quad for sale it always says fresh rebuild. HHmmm thats the only thing you cant check so its perfect to say that. But always perform a compression check!! Make sure you check it over really well because your nice warriror might end up being a really good deal for him and a bad deal for you. Ive seen that happen. Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Range Rover

how do i check it?

Quick Reply: Question