Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shopping for +2 A-arms and axle for Raptor, Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two local dealers are quoting list price and at least a month's wait for a new Raptor. I want the A-arms and axle right away, along with some 25x13x9 back tires and skid plates so I can take this puppy up into the hills without smashing it up on the rocks. Alba would do all this for me, for $10,000 !!!! Good grief. I'll do it myself.
Timmy Boy A-arms are +2 track, +1 wheelbase for $695, Durablue axle about $300, two ITP Spidertrax
25x13x9 tires should pick up the rear end over the native boulderettes. With a flip of the shock bracket it shouldn't be too much taller in the saddle. Think I should change front tires too? Any thoughts on these A-arms? They also offer +3", that seems a bit much. There seem to be a number of different brands out there. I am kinda going off the February Dirt Wheels Greydon Proline "Modified Raptor vs. Modified DS650" story. Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 02-28-2001, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You will HAVE TO get some front tires AT LEAST as tall as those 25" tall rears (mudders?). That will look VERY cool!

Old 02-28-2001, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

I think that if you put 25" spiders on the back you will be way to high, and your first gear will be 'really' tall.

Go with 22" rears and 22" fronts. If you go with a square type front tire, you will find more stability as the shoulder of the tires will give you more width. So you could count at least 1" wider stability just with putting square type tires on the front like Bandits.

I like the sporty mud type tires, and the spider tracks are square in the rear so you will get more stability using them over stock.

One interesting thing is that here in Ontario, I ride in a bit of snow. The stock tires on the Raptor, out chew Spider tracks or Sur Tracks in the snow. They hook up great. I hear that on hard pack they may bite too much, so I may also be looking at a different tire combination.

Good luck.

RM

Old 02-28-2001, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

25" tires are you sure you want to do that? why not buy the big polaris diesel instead of a sport quad? if you do go thru with it send me a picture of it, it'll be one of a kind, you will have to increase the height of you fronts also, and with thease huge tires i wouldn't drop that kind of cash on a-arms just get some off set wheels when you order your MONSTER TRUCK TIRES ..... send me pic you will have a one of a kind raptor

Old 02-28-2001, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

and plan on buying some new sprockets to gear that beast down so you'll have some power to turn those monsters

Old 02-28-2001, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

The Holeshot XCT's come in 23" front and 22" back, and will still fit the stock rims, 10"front,
9"rear. The next size up in the rear is 25" and you guys are probably right, that may be too much.
This would be an easy front sprocket change and with skidplates and a non-kamikaze approach to the local rocks, it might work out just fine. Plus the lower center of gravity along with the wider A-arms and axle should make a smokin' machine. Now where should I get these A-arms?
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 03-01-2001, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix, I wouldnt go wider up front stock the raptor is identicall to the 400ex up front all the mags said its 2inches narrower up front well there wrong I have both sitting in my gaurage and I measured and there both =. If you go wider in the rear you'll be fine but if you want I can get you a-arms +2 each side for $525plus shipping I also can get you a ls axle 2+2 I would stay away from durablue because there warrenty isnt a true lifetime and I've heard of people breaking them already but I can also get durablue. If you go with +2 a-arms you prob should go +4 in the rear because the rear is 2inches narrower than the front stock I would put a pipe on the raptor and gear it down and go with some 22"rears and 22or23"fronts. I can get you all of these things if your interested e-mail me and I'll get you prices.