Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic in 02 Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic in 02 Warrior?

Hey guys,

I need to do an oil change on my 02 Yamaha Warrior soon, it hasn't been done in about a year. Just a little background, I only ride the bike about 4-5 times a year, it sits in my second home. Out of those 4-5 times it's only driven maybe at most 3 hours over the duration of a weekend. So I really don't put any hours on it at all. I'm planning on doing oil changes maybe once a year, possible one every two years. I was looking at Maxima ATV premium, since I want the bike to run good, and be protected. It gets hot fast I've noticed, but I'm use to 250cc utility bikes. The Maxima looks good, but with shipping and no local dealers, I'm now looking at the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It's probably about the same price, maybe even cheaper with coupons at my local Advance Auto Parts. Just wondering how this oil will do? Will I have any problems? It is an oil made specifically for 4T motorcycles, so I'm assuming it should be fine in my Warrior? Any input would be appreciated. I'm sure it's not as good at Amsoil or Maxima synthetics, but for the price, and considering my bike was less than $2k I'm OK with that.

Thanks!

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Seems like good stuff, mobil 1 is usually pretty good in my book, its JASO approved so it is definitely compatible with the warrior, the warriors do run pretty hot which is normal, the only thing you may notice is that with the synthetic oil it can make the clutch feel a little slippery, but after a while it should finally kinda break in to the new oil, going from regular oil to syn oil usually does this on atvs, the clutch plates are coated and worn in with the old regular oil and synthetics usually make em slip or feel a little different for a little while because of the viscosity,friction modifiers and whatnot in the syn oil, but syn oil is definitely good stuff, it might actually run cooler and a tad bit quieter with that oil also.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

All of the oils you have mentioned are super oils. Totally not needed in your case. Just a spec oil will do just fine.
If it makes you feel good and you can afford it..............go for it.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
All of the oils you have mentioned are super oils. Totally not needed in your case. Just a spec oil will do just fine.
If it makes you feel good and you can afford it..............go for it.
Lol...then whats a "super" oil to be used in? maybe something super expensive? whats wrong with using really good oil on simple low cost machines?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful about racing oils.

I used to use them, thinking that if they were good for the extremes of racing, then they would be great for everyday (non-racing) use.

A mechanic begged to differ. He stated that the objective of racing oils is low engine friction, resulting in more power.

Racing oils are not designed, and may not have the additives required, for long term engine durability, because racing motors are typically rebuilt after each race.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

i'll stick with yamalube....all day everyday, never had any issues with it and its fairly inexpensive and easy to get(i have 3 yamaha dealers within 15 miles of me). no need for a racing oil because as stated before, yea its a great oil, but its only designed for short periods of time, the engines it goes in are expected to be pulled apart often.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it in my DS650, and have never had a problem. Again if you can afford it. I spend more on a oil change on my quad than my truck. LOL

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BioWare
I use it in my DS650, and have never had a problem. Again if you can afford it. I spend more on a oil change on my quad than my truck. LOL
lol

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by KQ400Pilot
Be careful about racing oils.

I used to use them, thinking that if they were good for the extremes of racing, then they would be great for everyday (non-racing) use.

A mechanic begged to differ. He stated that the objective of racing oils is low engine friction, resulting in more power.

Racing oils are not designed, and may not have the additives required, for long term engine durability, because racing motors are typically rebuilt after each race.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.
Have you ever had any problems with using these oils? I understand the argument the mechanic is making, but I don't think it's the greatest. I think of Mobil 1 as a synthetic that can take the abuse, and not break down as easily or as fast as a dino. The description from the link is pretty clear about it being made to protect the engine, and the fact that it has all the API specs and JASO MA certified is saying something about the oil. I know it's not motorcycle oil, but many high performance cars come from the factory with Mobil 1, and I've seen many impressive UOA with Mobil 1.

I'm more worried about the Mobil 1 having too many cleaners, and getting leaks on my Warrior since it is an older bike, and quite frankly I have no idea what it's gone through in the past.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
Have you ever had any problems with using these oils? I understand the argument the mechanic is making, but I don't think it's the greatest. I think of Mobil 1 as a synthetic that can take the abuse, and not break down as easily or as fast as a dino. The description from the link is pretty clear about it being made to protect the engine, and the fact that it has all the API specs and JASO MA certified is saying something about the oil. I know it's not motorcycle oil, but many high performance cars come from the factory with Mobil 1, and I've seen many impressive UOA with Mobil 1.

I'm more worried about the Mobil 1 having too many cleaners, and getting leaks on my Warrior since it is an older bike, and quite frankly I have no idea what it's gone through in the past.
one thing i'm assuming you haven't considerd since now that you mention it it isn't a motorcycle oil....is you do have a wet clutch setup in the warrior, and oils designed for motorcycles/atv's are formulated to help with the clutch, to my knowledge normal car oils would actually make the clutch slip more and do the opposite of what you want in an oil...

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic in 02 Warrior?