Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshees on trail and gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshees on trail and gas?

recently ive been lookin at getting a banshee, but theres a few things holding me back from them, i mostly do fast trail riding, so how are these bikes on trail, can they go for all day? also are they really bad on gas? cause ive heard that there pigs, also does the motor go often in these bikes? any ifo is apreciated.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

they can be good in xc terrain but requires some getting used to and a good bit of clutch work, but i think there a blast in the trails, also there not to bad on gas, not good but not real bad, and with proper maintenance and a little more upkeep then your common 4 stroke they will last a long time.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The 4 strokes are much better on trails. The powerband on the 4 strokes are much smoother and more manageable than a Banshee. Plus you don't have to mix the fuel/oil on the 4 strokes with the expensive premix oil. Plus you can just pull up to a pump on the 4 stroke and fill 'er up. The Raptor 700 is a great trail machine and just as fast as a Banshee, with the Raptor 660 a close 2nd and more in comparison to a used Banshee's price tag.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

They are not terrible gas hogs but, they drink more for sure. On a normal trip to the dunes on our 450's we could ride almost all day without filling up. The banshee would go through two tanks easy. I've towed my bro twice. Once when his timing chain guide broke and once as a preemptive strike to a place we were riding knowing we would be there all day and he prob couldn't make it back.

On technical terrain that requires clutch work the things stink. They also suck to follow because you get crap thrown at you constantly. My biggest problem with them is they are very short and narrow. I love the agility and stability of a 450 and couldn't stand the 'shee in that regard. If it was mine we would have got some extended a-arms.

That said nothing rides like a 'shee. With a good set of pipes they feel like the most powerful thing on the planet.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

do the motors go in them like 250 dirtbikes, or do they got a longer life

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by cjshea
do the motors go in them like 250 dirtbikes, or do they got a longer life
Don't abuse them and they will last as long as anything else. So will 250's dirtbikes.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

deadly, guess ill look around for a banshee now, i always got the image that they were really fast but really bad on gas and you always had to be doing **** with the motor

Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Used to have a 250R for trail riding I will take a 4stroke now any day day over the old 2 stroke. What a pain for for a play quad!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

yea banshees are awesome bikes you gotta keep up with the maintenance way more then a 4 stroke and you gotta have a little more experience to ride them specially in trails but there great bikes, just like any other 2 stroke they will last a long time, as long as a 4 stroke? nope, but sometimes close, you could spend 4 grand on a banshee and it would take 8 grand on a raptor or something to be as fast.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by cjshea
and you always had to be doing **** with the motor
If you leave it stock, or just have some pipes on it and it's jetted right you won't have too much trouble with it. All my friends used to dragrace their highly modified Banshees on Saturday night and then trail ride them on Sunday. We would take bets on who would break down 1st, and sure enough, just about every Sunday we would have to pull a Banshee out of the woods. They now all ride 4 strokes. I'm the only dummy with a 2 stroke now and I hate it!

Quick Reply: banshees on trail and gas?