Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in the market for a new quad and have been drawn to the 2001 Yamaha Wolverine. I am 6'3" and approx. 285Lbs. I am very fond of the Wolv, but have some questions.
Does it have adequate power with the 350? I want to be able to use it and not have to worry about serious power issues, like not being able to make it up hills.

Will it take a snowplow?

Does any one recommend different tires?

What modifications are recommended for more power?

I really like the fact that it is a sport quad and a utility, I just wonder if it is the right thing for me.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wolverine Dreaming,
DewGmc
Cincy, Ohio

Old 03-01-2001, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Wolverine has plenty of power for a 350. If you are looking for raw torque to haul and plow you may want to go to grizzly. But if you want something to use a sport atv but need 4x4 this is the one. It is actually geared to be a sport bike but it would climb any dune hill at the Little Sahara. I would suggest a Dyno jet kit. This will take care of any torque problems you may have. My Wolverine will hang with a stock warrior and even outrun it on certain terrian.

Old 03-01-2001, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

I think you should look into the Kodiak 4X4 (the new ones) the have the good qualities of both the Wolverine and Grizzly plus they're more powerful than a Wolv and more maneuverable and agile than a Grizzly and there selectable 2/4wd. This might be just what you need. I love my Warrior but if I ever had enough moolah to get another one the Kodiak would definetly be it!!! :^)

Old 03-01-2001, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

What do you count as certain terrain?mud,snow?DUH!!!

Old 03-02-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Wolverine is great bike but at 285lbs you will not have much power to spare,when i had mine I could fly up sand hills and threw snow and mud but when my brother-in law "240"would use it there was a hudge difference,could'nt even come close to making up the hills that i would easly climb and same with the snow and mud.

Old 03-02-2001, 02:43 AM
Range Rover

Howdy....the wolverine will be to small and under powered to carry you around..look at the grizley...you will have alot of fun with that one...my buddy has a griz and he can keep up with me in the bush or on a rough trail going fast without a problem..your a big guy and if you get a wolverine it will look like your riding a mo-ped ....I have a wolverine and I'm 5'10" and 165 and it's just right for me...
BB

Old 03-02-2001, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

If a grizz can keep up with you on a Wolverine in rough trails then you need serious work on your ride..........or maybe you need to try a little harder

Old 03-02-2001, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Howdy...have you ever rode with a griz?....I have lots of times...in alot of ways it is better then a wolverine....but for me i like my wolverine and it runs great but the griz has alot more power then a wolverine will ever have...in a narrow trail that is bumpy the griz doesn't have a chance in keeping up with me but get in a wide open area and were side by side....I've been riding for a number of years and I can ride hard...but we did get a bit off the topic...the big guy was asking about a wolverine for himself not whether I could ride or not...
BB

Old 03-02-2001, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden a Grizzly, but found that is was a littlt intimidating, and I like to jump.
I got the Griz. three feet in the air and scared my self half to death. I really like the power it kicked out and it would pull away from a friends scrambler 400 4x4.
The Grizzly was particularly difficult to ride on tight trails, because it was so big. I do need four wheel drive and the capability for a plow.

Old 03-02-2001, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

Hey DewGmc, I have a Wolverine with some mods done to it and it doesn't lack very much power. I put well over 300 lbs. on it with someone on back seat and it still has plenty of power. I was really surprised but I swear on it. I don't climb many really big hills with passenger just to be sure that I don't flip it but I've climbed some pretty big and long hills while trail riding.. check out my link below. I'm about to scan some more pics to it right after this message so they might be added by the time you read this..

L8ter..

Quick Reply: Wolverine