Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can Someone Please Help ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone Please Help ?

Recently purchased new 2009 Big Bear 2x4 250 ATV Manual Shift auto cluth. When starting the ATV cold, I experience cut-out problems.

I close the manual idle choke lever & press the electric start. The manual idle choke lever RPMs are not set high enough to start a cold engine or keep it running smoothly without it cutting off. If I increase the RPMs of the idle choke lever, (using the Idle Speed Throttle Screw), it warms up the engine but then the engine continues to race & does not automatically cut back when warm.

I frequently have to manually adjust the Idle Speed Throttle Screew to keep the ATV idling fast enough to start and then readjust it slow enough so it does not race but the engine runs smoothly without cutting out. This requires me to bend down to reach this throttle adjustment screw and its very difficult with two recently replaced knees.

The ATV engine RPM idle speed does not cut back automatically as the engine warms. Is this normal ? Has anyone else had similar problems and how did you deal with them ? I am probably doing something wrong. At 68 I recently had total knee replacements in both knees and the recovery is rough to say the least. Is there anything I can do on my own to make this adjustment without making the 3 hour trip back to the dealer ? I would also like to get a service manual for this atv, can anyone recommend a good one with easy directions and lots of blow-up detail diagrams.
Many Thanks
JOe

Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Not familiar with that model, but for a service manual you may want to check ebay, or do a search here for "free manual download". Been a few people on here that have posted a link for manuals, but can't say that particular model was one of them.

Good luck, and hopefully someone will have a quick and easy fix.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I close the manual idle choke lever & press the electric start. The manual idle choke lever RPMs are not set high enough to start a cold engine or keep it running smoothly without it cutting off. If I increase the RPMs of the idle choke lever, (using the Idle Speed Throttle Screw), it warms up the engine but then the engine continues to race & does not automatically cut back when warm.

You have me all mixed up, The ATV does not just have a normal manual choke set up but some kind od atuomatic choke? Most set ups you pull/flip the choke on then start the motor up and gradually turn the choke down or off as the motor warms up and runs on its own?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Scooter & TLC

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. TLC I think you are right. The choke is set manuall and then has to be manually moved back as the engine warms to eliminate the racing of the RPM. What I need to do is get the choke set at the proper RPMs to start a cold engine and keep it running until it warms up and then set it back manually.

JOE