Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster clutch rebuild ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster clutch rebuild ???

have ya ever come into a corner fast and knock down a couple gears as you grab the front break and then pin it sideways ? of coarse you have ... now my problem is that when i grab the clutch and knock down them couple of gears , it sometimes only goes down one gear and i end up ******* it and have to grab that clutch again to get it down another gear ... its a real pain in the **** .... even when i come to a stop and i want to gear it down to 1st , i sometimes have to actually engage each gear before knockin it down to the next gear ... my Q is , will replacing the clutch plates / friction discs / and springs resolve this , or does it sound more in depth than that ??? any feedback would be appretiated ....

Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

well a gear oil change didnt seem to help , and after riding today the clutch only seemed to get worse . since ive owned the quad from new and havnt done anything with the clutches , im hopeing its just a simple parts waredown and new clutch plates , friction discs and springs will do the trick .
im goin out now to crack it open and see whats what inside there . i appretiate all the advice ive gotten and will keep updated on my progress ..

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sickdeuce
have ya ever come into a corner fast and knock down a couple gears as you grab the front break and then pin it sideways ? of coarse you have ... now my problem is that when i grab the clutch and knock down them couple of gears , it sometimes only goes down one gear and i end up ******* it and have to grab that clutch again to get it down another gear ... its a real pain in the **** .... even when i come to a stop and i want to gear it down to 1st , i sometimes have to actually engage each gear before knockin it down to the next gear ... my Q is , will replacing the clutch plates / friction discs / and springs resolve this , or does it sound more in depth than that ??? any feedback would be appretiated ....
Sounds like the clutch is not adjusted right to me. Have a go at just adjusting it first. I had similar issues on mine after I'd been running it for about a year.... I went ahead and replaced the clutch (Yes it's pretty simple, and to adjust it, you'll be in there anyway).

If you replace the clutch plates/friction plates, pay special attention to all the spacers and clutches,.... they must go back EXACTLY the way they came out. There are some very subtle differences in the outer two pieces I think..... there's a little inner "spring" on the outer one, and the outer one has a larger inside diameter to allow for that spring,..... the spring is about the same diameter of the rest of the plates and discs.... pay very close attention if you replace parts.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey , thanks for the response terrellster ... i do have the clymer manual for the blaster and have read over the clutch section many times to make sure this procedure was within my mechanical abilaties ... and yup , you are right about one of the plates having a bigger inside diameter whare a spring washer goes , good memory you have , but the plate is on the inside , not the outside ...

so it turns out that it is a pretty simple procedure .... if you have the right tools . i ended up damaging the inner clutch/clutch boss because i didnt have a clutch holder tool to remove the clutch nut . i would have prolly replaced it anyways because that , and the clutch housing / outer clutch were pretty wore out . alot of scoring inside the grooves where the plates slide back and forth .... which must be the problem because the plates are suppossed to slide freely in the grooves and with all the scoring / galling where they slide , they were getting caught up and sticking in place ... so im looking at replacing the plates , discs , springs - the inner clutch boss and the outer clutch housing ... after some quick on-line pricing im at $250 .... hopefully this thing will be fixed before next weekend ! ... lol

oh yea , terrellster , im thinking that the problem was just normal weardown from use , but i am going to look into the clutch adjustment that you mentioned while i wait for the parts ... you never know that may have been the cause of my problems ... thanks again , and ill keep ya informed of my progress ...