Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 350 Wolverine Reverse Switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 350 Wolverine Reverse Switch problem

Newbie here,
I did a search to see what I could find about the reverse switch problem and didn't find anything that might point to the problem,
It will shift into reverse without turning the switch, Not a problem as long as I'm the only one riding except fiddling around trying to find natural . I'm thinking of buy a new ride, then sell the 98, I doubt I could get much out of it in the shape it's in,

Anyway, does anyone care to weigh in this. Could it be simple to fix or dump it for what I can get out of it?

Thanks for your ideas/
Billy

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Reverse Dial

I have a 95 Wolverine with the same setup you are talking about I believe...the dial on the dash has a cable that runs down to the lower right side of the motor as you sit on the bike. I have had trouble with mine not wanting to go into reverse when it is very cold. You may check to make sure that the cable will slide freely and make sure that the lever on the side of the motor is free moving...you may have the issue of the lever not returning to starting position...check it out and let me know if you want me to send you a picture of what the hell I am even talking about!!!

Mudslinger2

Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
I have a 95 Wolverine with the same setup you are talking about I believe...the dial on the dash has a cable that runs down to the lower right side of the motor as you sit on the bike. I have had trouble with mine not wanting to go into reverse when it is very cold. You may check to make sure that the cable will slide freely and make sure that the lever on the side of the motor is free moving...you may have the issue of the lever not returning to starting position...check it out and let me know if you want me to send you a picture of what the hell I am even talking about!!!

Mudslinger2
Thanks for the reply mudslinger2. I understand what you're saying, and everything seems to be working fine, cable moves lever as it should. So my guess is that the problem may be internal. Perhaps someone here can point me to site that describe how the shifter works internally

Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by billy paul
Thanks for the reply mudslinger2. I understand what you're saying, and everything seems to be working fine, cable moves lever as it should. So my guess is that the problem may be internal. Perhaps someone here can point me to site that describe how the shifter works internally

So, could someone aid me in finding a website with a view of transmission. I've googled in numerous Fraze's without any luck.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Billy

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Tranny Diagram

Billy,
You may try to look on cheapcycleparts.com to get a fairly generic diagram... if you choose OEM parts and then choose your machine and go to transmission...should get a part by part diagram...another option would be to see is anyone has an electronic version of the service manual for your quad that they could send you!

Good Luck,
mudslinger2

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
Billy,
You may try to look on cheapcycleparts.com to get a fairly generic diagram... if you choose OEM parts and then choose your machine and go to transmission...should get a part by part diagram...another option would be to see is anyone has an electronic version of the service manual for your quad that they could send you!

Good Luck,
mudslinger2

Thanks Mudslinger, had no idea this would be so challenging