Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rear end issue - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end issue - NEED HELP!

This is a complicated issue that I hope to explain as best I can. Anyways, probably over a year ago my grizz 660 started leaking a little oil from the right rear axle. It wasn't much so I just keep adding a little oil to it, till I got time to put in seal. Then my axle started "popping" out of the axle housing primarily when I was riding it really hard. All I had to do was "pop" it back in and I was good to go. Well finally got around to gettting a seal and when I popped the axle out I did not like what I saw. The inboard cv joint splines were completly wore off to the circlip and there was a ton of metal shavings in the housing. I was like crap. So I ordered a new cv off ebay. Now as I'm cleaning it up tonight I saw that the splines on the ring gear in the diff that the cv fits into are wore down as well. First of all how could this have happened and second if I just put the new inboard cv in will it eat that up again? A new ring gear set is $300+ and you have to tear it completely down to change, something I'm not real comfortable with. I was thinking I would just put the new cv in and see how I get along, but I also don't want to ruin another cv. I know the answer is get a new ring gear but I was just curious if anyone has seen this before. I've probably put 500+ miles since the first time the axle popped out and it was running fine I just knew that I needed to replace the seal. I was not expecting to see all the metal shavings! Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!