Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cannondale Drag Race Results--> 400ex vs. Raptor vs. FX400

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 12:19 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirt Rider exposed the Cannondale MX400 for the overpriced junk that it is. Do you expect thier first attempt in the ATV market be any different? They have been churning out hype for this quad for a long time. To some it may seem like the heralding of next great ATV. To me it seems that they are trying to keep the public distracted while they iron out design problems (and judging by the MX400 there are are probably many). I was sceptical about buying the Raptor on it's first year out and Yamaha has been building ATVs for almost two decades. I sure don't want to buy the first ATV built by a bicycle company.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

I shouldn't be posting here since I don't own a Yamaha and haven't ever ridden an FX400 (or seen one for that matter); however I must comment about how people think their quads are way better than other quads. My LT500 smokes lots of quads, and I know that their are just as many that can beat it. I think that it is funny how people in this forum know what Cannondale did to make their new quad look better than others. I also think it is funny how "I know for a fact that the 400EX has 27 HP". Give Cannondale a break. What they are doing is good for the sport.

Old 03-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Here we go bench racing quads that we don't even have out in many numbers (or at all) yet again. As with the DS, and the Raptor, I would approach the FX400 with a wait and see attitude as it is a first year machine.
Also, remember that the FX400 is really a 430 (right?) and that it is very high performance (supposedly) and that if it were a YZ 426 motor in a light aluminum frame you would be ALL over it as the best of the best! The 426 is an awesome motor utilizing a carburator, not programmable fuel injection. All machines today use CDI and electrical ignition, what happens if they get wet?
I think back to Yamaha's add campaign and how it was supposed to "spank everything else out there". We know the Raptor is a great machine, but it will hardly "spank" everything else. The Raptor was hyped up with misleading specs (ground clearance, updated air filter and chain maintaince) and bogus "spy photos" released to the magazine publishers. I gotta respect Cannandale for being very up-front from the very beginning and letting us see their set-backs and their advancements.
Having said all that, I would wait and see how the machine really handles and performs in real world situations before I got one for myself. Also, I am really hoping Honda steps up and puts something out with the XR650 motor.
Sorry for the long post, go enjoy a beautiful day riding for me, I got broken ribs and am stuck doing non-riding activities.

Old 03-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Spy Raptor photos? HOw do you figure this? I subcribed to all the mags and never seen a spy photo or misleading info about the bike.

Old 03-04-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

the "spy photos" were in Dirt Wheels and ATV action too I think, and ridzhard is right it was B.S. hype

Old 03-04-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I will be more specific, but do not think I am calling the Raptor a piece, I am not, it is a fine all around quad with its own strengths and weaknesses. The spy photos I am referring to were fuzzy long distance shots of the Raptor being tested in a secret location against other quads. Warriors, Banshees, and 400EXs to be more specific. These were taken by Yamaha and given to the mags. They were billed as "spy photos" taken by magazine personel. If you were working for one of the publishers, what would keep you from getting closer? Did test people have armed guards or something? Make no mistake, this was a publicity campaign by Yamaha(damn good one too).
The Raptor was claimed to have all new chain adjustment and air filter set-up. To me, it looks only marginally improved at best on both accounts. The ground clearance was supposed to be amazing at something like 10 inches. It was measured at the frame under the engine, not the swingarm skid for the rotor or sprocket like every other machine, including the Banshee and the Warrior.
Does it spank everything else out there, that debate is still going on. I will tell you it doesn't spank the Banshee in my garage or the 250R parked next to it. I have yet to see a Raptor or DS650 take on the jumps that my buddies and I have done, but I FIRMLY believe that is because of the rider, not the machine.
My point is Yamaha is out ot sell machines, as is Cannondale, Honda and all the rest. If you base your decision to buy only on what a commercial or the salesman tells you, you are an uninformed buyer. Sorry for the long post, ribs are broken and nothing better to do.

Old 03-04-2001, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

well i just came from the drags up here in PA. i raced a fx400 with my modded SHEE, pro circuits,pro design air flow kit, ported and a few other mods to list. its was a 300 foot drag. we raced 3 times. i took 2 of them and the fx400 took one. i had a horrible start to boot on the one i lost. but dont get me wrong, this new bike is very fast. it smoked 2 piped and ported raptors and 1 ds650. i do not however, like the looks of it as far as cosmetics go.

Old 03-04-2001, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

oops

Old 03-04-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

a stock cannondale beat a piped and ported raptor? I doubt it!! Maybe a stock one but i doubt that also. A piped and ported Raptor will probally beat almost anything anmd hang very well with piped and ported shees.

Old 03-04-2001, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

Well there it is the Raptor must must be the fastest greatest quad that will ever be made, the other companies might as well just pack it in and call it quits.
Come on people at least give Cannondale a chance it could be a tough quad.
If it is as bad as they say there will be alot of Raptors for sale I bet. Just like the 400ex when the Raptor came out.

Quick Reply: Cannondale Drag Race Results--> 400ex vs. Raptor vs. FX400