Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How is the Kodiak 400?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of good things about the Kodiak. But I'm only going to talk about the bad. The belt isn't going to be a problem as long as you don't get into water up to the racks. If you are going to do a lot of deep water you will need to make some modifications. If you do get the belt wet, it's easy to dry it off. You take off this one drain plug, give it some case while in park and it will get all the water out. The rear brakes on the quad are crap. Be ready to change them out constantly even if you never use the rear brakes. If you put larger tires on the quad, you will also need to put on a clutch kit. The Kodiak is a narrow quad, which makes it great on the trails, but also makes it a bit top heavy. The water pumps on the Kodiak also seem to be defective. Mine has gone out twice and I know several others that have had problems with the water pump. And if you plan on doing much night riding, I strongly suggest adding directional lighting since the quad doesn't come with it. The 4wd is limited slip meaning whichever front tire is off the ground is the one that will be spinning and the front tire that's on the ground will be sitting still.

Do I still like my Kodiak? I love it. Just wanted to point out some of the things you might run into if you get this quad.