Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 Big Bear--Front DriveShaft Question--Where to Begin?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Big Bear--Front DriveShaft Question--Where to Begin?

I am hoping someone here might be able to help me--

As you can tell by looking @ the pictures, the driveshaft has come out of the front differential. (I think that's how it's said).

Is there anywhere here, or online in general, that might walk a person thru fixing this?

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris
Name:  BigBear2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  98.5 KB
Name:  BigBear.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  94.5 KB

Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

its pretty easy really, just dissamble to front wheel assembly (where is came loose from) & re stab it in

the real question, is how did it get like that ?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply! As far as the what caused it--I did, after you asked, remember that the winter before last the ball joint came apart, (twice), and I had to reattach it in the woods.

I didn't seem to have any other problems with it. However, I didn't clean or grease before or after I did it. Is that a no no?

I only use it about 4 hours a month in the summer, and then during trapping season I use it appr. 6 hours a week.

I've had a lot of trouble with this atv. Seems like once a year I "should" get the carb gone thru. I can only assume it is gumming up, but then again, ????

Where do you all go for repair manuals and parts? Which one on here would you go with if that is your choice?

I'm looking forward to getting this done in the near future, as well another issue I have with it, which is more in depth for sure. I will post that here and hopefully get folks like yourself to help me out with it!!!

Thanks,

Chris

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Front Diff

The axle ends just slide back into the differential to allow for travel from the shocks......If you get the shocks extended as far as you possibly can or if you pull the hubs off the axle will slide out. This has only happened to me when I had the hub off to mess with wheel bearings. Clean it off, grease it up, fix whatever caused it in the first place, and slide it back in...if it won't go in just turn the front wheel forward or backwards a bit while you are trying to insert. Good Luck!

Mudslinger2