Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'02 Yamaha Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Yamaha Blaster

I have a stock Yamaha Blaster, and i've yet to really push it (hillclimbs and such), I'm not really sure when to take breaks to let it cool, or how long to take breaks. I've hit the powerband, climbed little hills, and I'm very impressed for what the little 200cc engine packs, but I'm not sure how far to push it, or how far it will go. I'm running Klotz R50 pre mix oil in it, and regular gasoline, it premixes so I'm not entirely sure of the ratio. Could someone fill me in. I'm roughly around the area of 190lbs.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by GrungeGod494
I have a stock Yamaha Blaster, and i've yet to really push it (hillclimbs and such), I'm not really sure when to take breaks to let it cool, or how long to take breaks. I've hit the powerband, climbed little hills, and I'm very impressed for what the little 200cc engine packs, but I'm not sure how far to push it, or how far it will go. I'm running Klotz R50 pre mix oil in it, and regular gasoline, it premixes so I'm not entirely sure of the ratio. Could someone fill me in. I'm roughly around the area of 190lbs.
A stock Blaster has a Oil injection system,.... Are you potting your oil in one reservoir, and only fuel in the tank? or do you mix the fuel before filling the tank with it? I always run mine with 32:1 fuel to oil ratio,.... with the quality of the fuels and oils we have nowadays you could go as high as 50:1, but I recommend the lower ratio for sure..... The Yamaha Yamalube 2 Stroke pre-mix oil is 32:1 on the pint bottle.... dump the pint in a 5 gallon can and fill to 4 gallons on the pump... can't miss that way.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Terrellster
A stock Blaster has a Oil injection system,.... Are you potting your oil in one reservoir, and only fuel in the tank? or do you mix the fuel before filling the tank with it? I always run mine with 32:1 fuel to oil ratio,.... with the quality of the fuels and oils we have nowadays you could go as high as 50:1, but I recommend the lower ratio for sure..... The Yamaha Yamalube 2 Stroke pre-mix oil is 32:1 on the pint bottle.... dump the pint in a 5 gallon can and fill to 4 gallons on the pump... can't miss that way.
wait a blaster is oil injected? you cant run R50 in oil injection engines...oh *#@$!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

wait a blaster is oil injected? you cant run R50 in oil injection engines...oh *#@$!
Yeah,... The oil reservior is under the seat and hangs under the left rear fender and has a Guard of sorts to try and protect it from debris flying up and busting it..... Doesn't always work, but it's a pretty tough reservior.

If the reservior is missing, the block off is pretty likely already done too. A lot of guys just cut the oil lines and leave them as little stubs at the carb and at the pump cover.... Not my favorite way of doing things, but the OEM pump won't cause any problems, as the plastic drive gear will grind up pretty easy when the pump seizes due to no oil...... There are some block off kits readily available for this if it's got the parts in place still, and the operation is pretty simple. I really like the pre-mixed fuel situation on mine, it takes the guess work out of "is the oil pump working?" and all is good.

I had a fully stock blaster with the oil injection system in place and operating and it was fine too..... Just fill the oil reservior everytime you ride and it will never give problems either......

If the Injection system is already gone, you can mix the fuel/oil with whatever brand you deem best for you.... The R50 oil would be fine.... premixed.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dont worry Terellerster, its there, and staying there.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You generally shouldn't have to give the engine any cool down breaks once it has been broken in. That would include after putting in a fresh piston/rings as well. Doesn't sound like you are interested in this, but plenty of Blasters are running with the oil injection block off kit. A lot of us "old timers" prefer to mix the stuff ourselves and eliminate the chance that a mechanical failure of the injection system might frag the motor. It isn't really needed though.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scooter i dont have the money for a piston or rings, nor do i know how to put them in.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scooter i dont have the money for a piston or rings, nor do i know how to put them in.
What I was trying to say is, the engine would need some cool down time only when it is getting broken in. That would include the next time a new piston/rings are installed. Since it is currently broken in, it really shouldn't need any cool down time during most riding.