Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it is something simple.. Flywheel and flywheel key still in good shape? If I remember right, I think a sheared flywheel key could cause inconsistent spark...

Also you could try a new spark plug if you havent already. Maybe the gap has changed since you have been working on it so much?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did some testing with the multimeter and found out I'm getting power from the stator to the CDI box but nothing from the CDI box to the coil. Previous owner didn't want to get a battery after he put it back together so he jumped it from a car. So pretty much replacing everything he fried. Going to pick up a CDI box tomorrow hopefully. Atleast my electronics will be refreshed.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can't find a CDI box in the area so I'm going to check out timing later tonight and see what's going on. Any other suggestions on things to check?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Figured I would post an update. If I hit my start button real fast I will get a spark. If I sit there and hold it then I get nothing. Kind of thinking I have a bad ground somewhere.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

have you tryed trying to jump start it? if it fires up then its most likely a stator, when they get weak the starter cant spin the engine fast enough to generate a good enough spark to fire up, but when skid started the engine spins over faster, which can be enough to start.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry it took so long to update, I've been real busy with work. But finally got a chance to jump start it and all it does is bog. Doesn't even sound like it fires. Double checked my resistance values on the stator and they are perfect. Got a CDI and Voltage regulator in. Guy said it was for a '96 but it's actually for a '97-'01. Don't think I can make it work so there's a waste of money.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not 100% sure on the Warrior, but from my experience working on other carburators, the electronics change, so you might need to get the electronics for the new carburator since the old electronics might not work in conjunction with the new carb.
Once again, I could be totally wrong since I'm no expert on Yamaha Warriors.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

nah the carburetor doesnt have any kind of relation to the electrical side of things on it, but the wiring harness changed a bit over the years, and the stators and cdis plugs were always changing, so yea that sucks you got a newer CDI, but most likely thats your problem then.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

strip the bike down, and at night crank it over in the dark look for sparks around the wiring loom , i had a similar drama and found a wire that had been rubbing on the steering , also i would check your impuse generagtor ,

Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give this all a try tonight. I was looking at the wiring between the old and new cdi box. The new one has one less wire than the old one running to the stator. Just wondering if it could hurt to try to wire this newer cdi in.

Quick Reply: Warrior Won't Start