Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 Carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 Carb problem

Well, lets start off by saying that it started just out of winter. I pulled it out of a 3 months slumber to start it up, and the only way it would stay idle is by either full choke or tapping the throttle. I messed with the throttle adjustment, cleaned the air filter, pretty much everything I could think of to make it not stall and it still does so.
I took the Carb off and totally dismantlement it thinking perhaps some bad gas or otherwise would be the case. The whole carb was spotless, as it had only been ridden one summer. I check the jets, they were all clean and clear, and I re-assemble it back together. When everything gets back together and I try starting it all it does is turn over. I tried starting it for a good 10-15 minutes and nothing.
I talked to my dad a while back and he said that he thought that a faulty spark plug was at play, but this wasn't the case. I took it out and inspected it and it had a tan color to it. I had also turned it over to test the strength of the spark and it was good and strong. I replace the plug and the thing starts first turn over. I let off of the choke it dies. I try it again while tapping the throttle and it starts, but it backfires through the air box. If I use the choke, it backfires through the exhaust.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

if it only runs on choke your carb needs a good cleaning and blow out all the jets with a compressor ,check your carb manifold rubber for cracks check your float level to make sure its getting enough juice and not too much .if all these things are good it should run

Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do I check my float level and what should it be at? I got to thinking that might be the problem as well because I didnt know before I reinstalled they had to be a certain height.

My dad thinks it's a timing problem though.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

to check it take out the carb remove the screws from bowl and let it fill with petrol on for about 10 seconds then take off petrol pipe and see how much petrol is in bowl it should be around 6-7 mm from top of the bowl i wouldnt think it is timing they never slip the timing .

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was a clogged PJ. I soaked it in carb cleaner and ran a strand of 12 gauge wire through it and now it runs like a champ. Thanks.