Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolvy 450 performance mods??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me more!! haha

Are they straight forward to do?? I've herd of the changing weights in the clutch but not the shim mod?? Do you know the item num on ebay for the part??

Do UTV Crap ship to the UK?? Whats there web site??

cheers

Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 4x4wolvy450
Tell me more!! haha

Are they straight forward to do?? I've herd of the changing weights in the clutch but not the shim mod?? Do you know the item num on ebay for the part??

Do UTV Crap ship to the UK?? Whats there web site??

cheers
The shim mod spaces out the primary sheave allowing the belt to ride lower in the sheave giving you a Lower gear from the start.

VERY Easy to do! Just a hassle cleaning all the grease out of the primary sheave... Here is a link to a Video the shows 100% how it is done....

http://forums.atvconnection.com/yama...all-video.html

UTV Inc http://utvinc.com/ Email Nick to ensure they Ship internationally...

Shim Dood Yamaha Kodiak 1.5mm shim mod 400, 450 shim mod 1.5 mm: eBay Motors (item 190368300451 end time Sep-22-10 17:29:26 PDT)

Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CraZySteve
Get a Renegade 500 and constantly overheat! POS in my experience with the guys I ride with.... While they love the performance of the machine.. they definitely do NOT love the overheating...

You should also go greaseless in your primary clutch! As well as the Shim mod. UTV Crap makes 12g (total weight) weights to give you better snap off the line as well as greaseless cam plate sliders. All that can be had for $88 shipped ($80 + 8 shipping). You can also do the shim mod which will give you more bottom end. That can be had for $7 w/free shipping on Ebay.

I went greaseless in my Grizz 450 (same engine / clutch setup as your Wolfy) and I love it!
bad part about ebay is that a lot of the sellers wont ship to Europe... :/ but some will for extra charge.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

X2 on what Steve said. And thanks for posting the video for him to see. That is my 450 getting the clutch work done to it and it made a huge difference. I just added a HMF slip on and jetted tonight but have to test it out yet. And saying a 450 will get 8% power increase from a slip on pipe is BS. Both HMF and Supertrapp will tell you it's more like 2% if jetted right and running air box mod or no lid at all, not just better air filter. You could also look for the AMR stage 3 CDI and EHS Racing Lid for your airbox along with any aftermarket air filter...Twinair, Uni, K&N. I was going to do a BB kit but price doesn't sit well for the gains you would receive. Everything posted here is pretty much all you'll need to wake up your wolvy and you will increase topend just from the clutch work if you get the full setup (greaseless 12g rollers and sliders, 1mm shim, machined sheave and epi blue secondary spring) Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Excellant video's

If/when I do the above mod's, weights, sliders, blue spring, shim, will I still need to fit a epi clutch kit???

What is the difference between the machined sheave and the stock one?? I know its to improve top end, could I get mine machined over here save buying one in from the states??

I have got a k&n for it, am going to run with the airbox lid off as I don't go through deep water and it's not dusty so should be ok

Thanks for all the great info so far!!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Epi clutch kits are rollers, 2ndary spring and wet clutch springs. If you are not running 29 inch tires or doing serious mudding you wont need a EPI Kit. What the different guys doing sheave mods do is take some of the material off the primary to make the belt ride lower for improved low end torque. Then they do a mod to the cam plate to regain lost top end from doing the first mod. Still not certain that the others will increase top end without even further work. The utv Inc one machines the ramps where the rollers are to gain the top end. If you have machinists over there doing sheaves you could just send them yours instead of purchasing a whole new sheave already machined. The reason I bought the new sheave was so I would be able to keep my stock sheave and possibly send it out to another place to have it machined to test out against the one I purchased. If you run an open airbox with a K&N be sure to rejet because you will be taking in alot more air.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok so I can scrap the epi kit, I will be using stock tyres maybe go to 25" max

there are no companies over here that I know of that sell machined sheaves, I would need to take mine to a machine shop and ask them to do it, but I need to know how much needs to be machined off it

I have bought a pipe, filter and jet kit as a package so hoping the new jets I get with that will be ok with the lid removed aswell if not I'll put the lid on till I get some new jets

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well getting one of the guys who make money doing their machined mods to tell you how much and where to shave off might not happen....lol. They might if you offer to pay them but I highly doubt they would offer up that info. If they did then anyone would be able to just get them done anywhere and probrably for less money.

Here are a few names to look up and see their mods and how they do them. Google all of them.
Airdam Clutches
Mikes Powerhouse-formerly Coop45 mods
Utv Inc.

Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know its unlikely, the most I would hope for would maybe be someone who's fitting one to take some pics of the machined sheave compared to the stock, I have found a couple of pics of a sheave that has had the roller way machined, which I think will be possible to do.
I might keep a eye out for a stock sheave on ebay so I can play about with that