Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolvy 450 performance mods??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolvy 450 performance mods??

Hi all,

I recently bought a wolverine, I've had enduro bikes but this is my first quad, pleased with it so far is just feels a bit sluggish!!

What can I do to get a bit more out of it??

I have just ordered a HMF pipe, jets & filter

Next month I was thinking of getting a epi clutch kit, and after that I'm not sure where to go???

I have been looking at a performance cam, +2mm piston which will take it to 440cc and raise comp to 11:1, and maybe polish/port head

Has anyone done these mods?? are they worth doing???

Also are there any cheap suspension upgrades i.e will yfz/raptor shocks fit????

My plan is to have a go at racing next season, after I've had a bit more experience on a quad!
I went to watch a event on sunday and the 4x4 class comprised of renegades and grizzly 700's I know I'll never get to there power level with the 450 motor but would be nice to be able to be competitive with them, they might be quicker on the long straights, but with a bit more ooph and its light weight the wolvy should be quicker on the more twisty technical stuff

Any opinions or advise appriciated or if you just think I'm wasting my time let me know

Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Range Rover

wasting your time, if you wanted a faster machine you should have bought one. Your on the right track though a exhaust/jetkit/airfilter/clutch kit will go a long way and should really wake that machine up. But dont expect to compete in any open class races you might beat the 5yo next to you, but wheres the fun in that

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the HMF pipe will give you like 8% more power, plus the filter and jet kit should be more. if thats still not enough power for you, I would suggest a renegade 500.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by dirtjunkie
wasting your time, if you wanted a faster machine you should have bought one. Your on the right track though a exhaust/jetkit/airfilter/clutch kit will go a long way and should really wake that machine up. But dont expect to compete in any open class races you might beat the 5yo next to you, but wheres the fun in that
if my pockets where deep enough then I would of bought a faster machine, I could of got a 2wd that was fast, a ltr or a yfz but I wanted 4wd

Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by kevin773
Well, the HMF pipe will give you like 8% more power, plus the filter and jet kit should be more. if thats still not enough power for you, I would suggest a renegade 500.
I did look at renegades when I was looking for a quad, but with there price tag 3x that of the wolverine they where way out of my budget

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

this is very true, renegades are very spendy. but then again you might end up putting in the difference in price in performnce mods to bring up the power :/

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

the planned mods should be around £650, when I was looking to buy the cheapest rene 500 I seen was £4700, I paid £2500 for the yam so still be cheaper to mod it

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

well, the mods will definetly help its power, but with a 421cc motor, it will never be a rocket, but it wont be slow either. sounds like you got a pretty good deal on it.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

It was bought second hand I couldn't afford a new one, there around £5k mines an 08 and only covered 250miles when I got it, still like new, good enough for me

There like hen's teeth over here tho so I'm having to buy all the bits for it from over the pond

Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kevin773
Get a Renegade 500 and constantly overheat! POS in my experience with the guys I ride with.... While they love the performance of the machine.. they definitely do NOT love the overheating...

You should also go greaseless in your primary clutch! As well as the Shim mod. UTV Crap makes 12g (total weight) weights to give you better snap off the line as well as greaseless cam plate sliders. All that can be had for $88 shipped ($80 + 8 shipping). You can also do the shim mod which will give you more bottom end. That can be had for $7 w/free shipping on Ebay.

I went greaseless in my Grizz 450 (same engine / clutch setup as your Wolfy) and I love it!

Quick Reply: Wolvy 450 performance mods??