Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help with new wheels for my atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with new wheels for my atv

i have a yamaha wolverine 450 with the stock 23inch tires and im looking into a set of 25"s, the rear stock wheels seem to have a really deep offset, im not sure what it is though? does offset even matter if its the same diameter rim, or do i need that specific offset? thanks!

Name:  2007-YAMAHA-WOLVERINE-450-4X4-SPECIAL-EDITION.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  13.2 KB

Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

If you change the offset, your tires will stick out according to how much less offset you have. My advice would be to find 25 inch tires that will fit the stock wheels, then you wont have to worry about new wheels. Also something to keep in mind, adding larger tires will change the final gear ratio and take away from the low-end power

Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by kevin773
If you change the offset, your tires will stick out according to how much less offset you have. My advice would be to find 25 inch tires that will fit the stock wheels, then you wont have to worry about new wheels. Also something to keep in mind, adding larger tires will change the final gear ratio and take away from the low-end power
its ok if the tires stick out, i dont know if the brake caliper will fit inside of a rim, it sits outside of the stock rim because of the large offset, also id like to have 2 sets of wheels, my stock ones for when i want to go fast, and a bigger set when i want to do rocky/muddy stuff

Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Wait, I just thought of something, less offset will make it skinnier, not wider... so if you want to, get wheels with less offset and then run some wheel spacers to get back to the stock width. that would also make it so your calipers will not rub.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by kevin773
Wait, I just thought of something, less offset will make it skinnier, not wider... so if you want to, get wheels with less offset and then run some wheel spacers to get back to the stock width. that would also make it so your calipers will not rub.
hey thats a really good idea, thanks kev

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

glad I could be of service

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Man you gotta sweet Quad, i have ridden my share of machines and the wolverien is the smoothest, responsive, great handling trail quad i have ever rode... sounds like you got your off set figured out, and "Kevin 773" is right about ratio and speedo change, also keep in mind your clutch "what did it do to you" lol... my friend set his grizzly 700 up with taller ITP mud terrains, the tires hit his fenders on moderate landings, we stiffend up the stock shocks but didn't really help, the whole quad just feels loose... i don't want to tell you not to run bigger, just telling you what i have ran into, maybe 1' spacers and a more aggresive tire.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Look into EPI, they make great clutch kits, or so I hear

Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Most guys I know will go wider as they go taller. Reason being you change the center of gravity just like if you lifted a truck. It may only be a total of an inch but it could make the wolvy a little more tippy in off camber situations or around some faster turns. If you like the stock wheels I would just add 1 inch spacers and whatever tires you want. As for clutching you have much better choices out there the EPI kits.

My buddy has an 07 wolvy 450 with hmf pipe, 1mm shim and lighter weights (rollers) and that thing would smoke the hell out of me off the line. I redid my grizz clutching with 1mm shim, machined sheave, greaseless rollers and sliders (12 gram total weight) and a blue epi secondary spring and although he can still take me off the line (the wolvy is still lighter afterall) I can catch him in the midrange and actully keep up with him at top speed. I still haven't figured my top speed since doing the clutch and adding an HMF Pipe and jetting due to running out of space on the trails here, but I had her upto 58 mph and she had more throttle left. I posted a link to a video of the clutch install here so I'll throw the link up for you. The clutch is identical for the wolvy and the grizz so it will give you an idea of what you would need to do even if just changing out rollers and adding a shim.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/perf...ry-spring.html

Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Butch450

My buddy has an 07 wolvy 450 with hmf pipe, 1mm shim and lighter weights (rollers) and that thing would smoke the hell out of me off the line. I redid my grizz clutching with 1mm shim, machined sheave, greaseless rollers and sliders (12 gram total weight) and a blue epi secondary spring and although he can still take me off the line (the wolvy is still lighter afterall) I can catch him in the midrange and actully keep up with him at top speed. I still haven't figured my top speed since doing the clutch and adding an HMF Pipe and jetting due to running out of space on the trails here, but I had her upto 58 mph and she had more throttle left. I posted a link to a video of the clutch install here so I'll throw the link up for you. The clutch is identical for the wolvy and the grizz so it will give you an idea of what you would need to do even if just changing out rollers and adding a shim.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/perf...ry-spring.html
nice videos there really helpful, ive been thinking about getting a clutch kit for a while, did all the parts in your movie come from epi? and what exactly is a 'machined sheave'? and who does it? couple other questions, why did you grind/polish the shivs? what is that tool called that you used to compress the spring? and why did you tighten down your nuts with an impact wrench?

Quick Reply: help with new wheels for my atv