Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Plow and winch for 2009 Wolverine 450 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow and winch for 2009 Wolverine 450 4x4

I'm picking up my brand new leftover 2009 wolverine 450 4x4 tomorrow morning and being excited is an understatement. I haven't had an all terrain vehicle since 16yrs ago when I had a couple of three wheelers

I'm planning on getting a winch and plow for it, so I can actually have fun keeping the drivewar clear of snow. I've been reading in the forums and I'm convinced that ill be able to put a winch and plow on a 2009 wolverine 450.

I'm sort of clueless where to begin looking. It seems after searching for information that ill need a winch to raise and lower the plow, the plow itself, and a mounting kit for the winch. When I've tried to search on ebay I find winch or plow kits that say they work up to 2008 wolverines. I think they'll work on a 2009 as well.

I've came upon so much advice and personal stories that I'm left scratching my head wondering which winch, kit, and plow will work good for me. I want a winch powerful enough to assist in pulling myself out of mud if I ever am in a jam. I also would like to keep the price down, but don't want to skimp if the savings are small.

Does anyone know of any winches or mounting kits that will make this easy for me? I wish I could just pay $500 and voila, a nice winch and plow are magically attached and ready to go. I know that won't be the case.

Can the Yamaha dealer help or am I best off to find aftermarket items?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Don't skimp on the winch. Pay the money for the Warn (they have rebates if purchased by DEC 31 $50 on the RT25). You won't regret it. I wasted my money buying a Gorilla Winch. I bought it in October as a Christmas gift to myself. Installed it Dec. 26 (I was excited to get it). Living in Ohio our public trails don't open until March/April. I used it on one riding trip. Went out the second time and it was dead. Unfortunately, I was a week past the 6 month warranty and used it one time. I wasn't willing to pay for a new motor on it when they wouldn't stand behind a winch that worked once. Junked it and got a Warn. Money well spent. As for the plow, if you know somebody that can do some fabricating, you can save a lot of money buy getting an old John Deere or Cub Cadet mower plow and fabbing it to fit your quad.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Yeah I'm not as concerned with the money saving part as I am with figuring out which winch, kit, plow will fit mine. I saw they had some plow kits on ebay that supposivly fit mine. In fact I asked the guy if by saying it fits all years does it fit a 2009 and he said yes. Also I saw a winch kit I think on amazon that was for a 2009 wolverine, but it wasn't a warn.

So should I be able to get the winch you suggested and then just worry about a way to bolt it to the atv? Anyone have a wolverine on here that has put a plow on? I could use the advice, etc.

Its already nearing the middle of November, in fact we already had a slight wintery mix last weekend. Id like to get this stuff ready before the first real snow. My two roommates even offered to throw in some money since they know the driveway will be taken care of. Now its just figuring out what to buy. I don't want to buy something that I can't get to fit. Any links will be helpful.

Thanks guys

Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 50" moose plow and have used it on 2 different ATVs. You have to find a dealer to purchase, but I did find part numbers for Wolverine 450 06-09, both plow mounts and wench mounts. www. mooseutilities.com click on the catalog and look on page 15. If you have sidewalks to clear, think about the 50", at an angle you can cruise right down them.

I understand Mud Slingers point on the warn wench, I have also had an issue with a cheaper wench, but they took care of my issue quickly. The mounts that you get with the cheaper versions can be a challenge to install, not tight tolerances.

Also think about the synthetic wench rope versus the cable. I have had to reattach my cable end because of the angle the cable comes out of the wench. I have switch to the rope.

Have Fun moving the white stuff!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

sorry info on page 16 for your ATV, not 15

Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a site that can help, just plug your ATV model in at the top of page. UTV | ATV Snow Plows | Snow Plow Kits | ATV Snowplow kits | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

My cousin plows with a Polaris 500 scrambler, having no low range does not seem to effect the ATV to much when plowing,he chose the 50". Does a Wolverine have a low range?

I even seen 2wd ATVs plow pretty good with chains on there back tires.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Plow last year

I bought a plow at the beginning of last winter...I already had the winch...I ordered on Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. You can choose your ride and then see what fits it. There is peace of mind knowing that everything will fit as it should. I bought the 48 inch plow and it works better than I ever thought it would!! You will need the mount plate, push tubes, and the plow.

As far as the winch...I have a 1500 lb warn that I originally bought and mounted on a wolverine...I made the mounting plate. To mount the winch you actually need the space to mount it, a place to mount the contactor box, and a wire that it hot only when the key is turned on...if you need help, I could PM you some pictures of what mine looked like. Good Luck!! Pay the money for the Warn...you will be happy when it works!!!
Mudslinger2