Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1994 Yamaha Timberwolf Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf Starting Problem

Hi there this is my first post and I'm hoping I can get some help. I have a 1994 Timberwolf 2x4. It will fire right up and run for 3-5 minutes. After that it will die if it's idleing. If your riding it will backfire and die. Most of the time it will not start up unless it sits for 10-15 minutes. Then it will fire up and run for a few minutes and etc, etc and etc. I have a sister wolf that I changed all the electrical parts such as cdi, rectifier and all the other parts in that area. I Ohm tested the stator and pickup coil before starting it and after starting it and they match within specs. I even swapped carbs and it does the same thing. Oh yeah I did check for spark after and it sparks good. If anyone can help I would be so gratefull. I'm at my wits end with this. Thank you.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like its running out of fuel. When it does it, check to see if it has fuel in the float bowl by loosening the drain screw on the bowl. Gas should run out steadily. If it doesn't, pull the inlet hose and see if runs out steadily there. If it runs out steadily then the problem is in the carb. If it just dribbles out there, the problem is the hose, petcock, or gas tank. Also compare that dribble to what you get when you switch petcock to reserve side.

Good Luck.

Ryan

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I was thinking but I checked it several times and I know the fuel runs good out of the petcock. I will pull the carb again and recheck the float and adjustments. What gets me is this is the second carb and it does the same exact thing with both of them. Would the valves being off make it do that? Thanks for the advise Ryan.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

I dont think the valves would cause that but I have been wrong before. I would check the float drain before I pulled the card again. Good luck.

Ryan

Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will do that sir. Its just strange how both carbs are doing the same thing. I had a shop tell me it was the stator. Like I said previous I tested the ohm's before and after but hey I could be wrong to. I know my other one needs a stator cause it wont register any ohm's. Thanks again Ryan.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Welp I tried all that again even swapped back to the carb. I'm lost on where to look next. Any help out there?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I was talking to my father inlaw and he proceeded to tell me when we first started the 4 wheeler we jumped it off a non running truck because the battery was bad. He said he was playing with the winch and had to rev the motor to get the winch to retract and as he was doing that the motor just died. I got a new battery for it the next ay and thats when my issue of it running for a few minutes and then dying began. the staor and pickup coil is roght on the ohms. Does any one think its possible the stator could have gotten hot and now has an intermittent problem when the motor warms up? Like I said if I let it sit for 10-15 min it will start right up even when I turn the gas off. Thanks for any help...

Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer

Have you made sure that you have the o ring on the carb inlet, I just put a new inlet on my T-Wolf and it did not come with a o ring, I had pretty much the same symptoms, made me scratch my head for a while, put a new o ring in and all is now ok.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Double post

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

i can try that. I did the wd40 test and there was no change in the running before it died. It did not rev up or die and they say that means theres no leak. But I will definately put a new one on. Cant hurt it.. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf Starting Problem