Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Blaster (2006) bogs down under load

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Blaster (2006) bogs down under load

I've got a 06 Blaster that sat through most of the summer but ran fine when I parked it. It was also started and run around the neighborhood a couple of times to keep the carb clean and it ran fine then too. Now I went to run some gas through it again and it was having problems when you go into the main jet it would just bog down and fall on it's face. If you release the throttle it would go right back to idle with no problems. So far I've been through the carb several times. The main jet (stock #) is good, emulsion tube is clean, pilot jet is clean, the slide is working properly, fuel level in bowl appears correct and there is no gas coming out the overflow and the float does not stick. Checked the reeds and they look good, spark plug is good, oil injection is working good. Used a timing light around the coil wire and there is still spark when it bogs down. Pulled the exhaust off and checked for any restrictions and now I'm looking at the CDI box. Are there any ways to test the CDI? Or is there something else I should be looking at? The CDI is priced at $143 on Bike Bandit so I don't want to order one unless I know it's definitely bad. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is living in Mesa, AZ and has a CDI I can possibly borrow for a quick test that would be great. I'd bring my bike to you and test it on the spot.
Thanks, Max

Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MaxAZ
I've got a 06 Blaster that sat through most of the summer but ran fine when I parked it. It was also started and run around the neighborhood a couple of times to keep the carb clean and it ran fine then too. Now I went to run some gas through it again and it was having problems when you go into the main jet it would just bog down and fall on it's face. If you release the throttle it would go right back to idle with no problems. So far I've been through the carb several times. The main jet (stock #) is good, emulsion tube is clean, pilot jet is clean, the slide is working properly, fuel level in bowl appears correct and there is no gas coming out the overflow and the float does not stick. Checked the reeds and they look good, spark plug is good, oil injection is working good. Used a timing light around the coil wire and there is still spark when it bogs down. Pulled the exhaust off and checked for any restrictions and now I'm looking at the CDI box. Are there any ways to test the CDI? Or is there something else I should be looking at? The CDI is priced at $143 on Bike Bandit so I don't want to order one unless I know it's definitely bad. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is living in Mesa, AZ and has a CDI I can possibly borrow for a quick test that would be great. I'd bring my bike to you and test it on the spot.
Thanks, Max
Sounds like the TORS is kickin' in to me..... (if all else is good). Make sure the switch on the Clutch/Park brake assembly is not stuck, and insure the TORS system is working as it should. If the park brake is on, the TORS will give the exact symptoms you are having.

Keep us informed.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

I've never heard it called TORS before but I know what you're talking about when the parking brake is on the engine won't rev up. I actually tried messing with that some by disconnecting the two wires that go into the switch at the park brake and connected those two wires together just like you would bypass the ignition key switch. The problems did not change at all with that bypassed. As it sits now, the engine will actually rev up but if you try to rev it to fast or basically 'load' it up to fast it will bog all the way down. I'm not aware if it's possible for this TORS system to kick in after it's already revved up but I've already checked it out somewhat by setting the parking brake and releasing it a couple of times as well as bypassing the switch as mentioned above. Is there any other way to disable it down where it's bolted onto the carb or have I already done all I can there?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could try this. It worked on mine. When you give it gas and it starts to bog down open the choke a little and see if it get worse or better. It will tell you if it carb related and if its lean or rich. May help.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

TORS = Throttle Over Ride System (most of us call it a "Rev Limiter")

From the sound of things so far, It does sound more like a Carb issue. Try the thing with the Choke and see if that helps. Also check for leaks in the intake boot between the carb and reeds. Spray some carb/choke cleaner around the boot while throttling up and see if that helps.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Is it possible to completely disable the TORS system?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible to completely disable the TORS system?
Yes,... the toughest part of it, is removal of the carb-top piece. There are kits on Ebay, and at other suppliers to help with that. It usually includes some sort of Idle air screw installation bit or something like that.... It's been a while since I actually sought one myself. The rest is electrical bypass or circuit bypassing.... Nothing terribly Schmancy though.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think I'll mess with the TORS then. I'm planning on selling the quad as soon as I get it running right since my son moved up to a Raptor now. I haven't messed with this in a couple of days since I hurt my back but I imagine I'll be able to kickstart it again by Sunday and try that choke trick. I should have thought of that before anyhow. I'll keep you posted on status.
Max

Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Max
hey try cleaning ur carbs or ur carb needle u need to move it up one or two notches

Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Terrellster
Sounds like the TORS is kickin' in to me..... (if all else is good). Make sure the switch on the Clutch/Park brake assembly is not stuck, and insure the TORS system is working as it should. If the park brake is on, the TORS will give the exact symptoms you are having.

Keep us informed.
ya sounds like ur carbs need cleaning or ur carb needle needs to be moved up keep me informed

Quick Reply: Yamaha Blaster (2006) bogs down under load