Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Blaster (2006) bogs down under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmattz24@yahoo.com
ya sounds like ur carbs need cleaning or ur carb needle needs to be moved up keep me informed
The carb hasn't been soaked in a solvent tank or anything but it has been cleaned up pretty good. Both pilot and main jets were removed and sprayed with brake cleaner then blown out with high air pressure. Emulsion tube was popped out and cleaned up and pretty much everything else on the carb was sprayed and all passages blown out. I'm working on this with my neighbor who runs his own motorcycle shop (expert on Italian bikes like Ducati, MotoGuzi, Triumph....)and he can't see any problems in the carb either. He did say we need to try that choke trick to try and flood some more gas in the carb when it bogs but I don't think I can do it until Sunday when my back should be right for kick starting. Back problems suck but that's the way it is. I agree it seems like a carb problem, I just can't find it yet.
Max

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

I also wanted to note that I've owned this quad since it was new and I know for a fact that the jetting and needle position are still set at stock. Since it worked fine before, I'm very hesitant to mess around with the jetting as that can't possibly be the real problem. If a bigger jet makes it work a little better, it would still just be masking whatever is really wrong with it and I don't like selling something I know has a problem.
Max

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Finally got some time to kick this thing around this morning and found that when I pull in some or all of the choke during this 'bog' it does make a difference but it's not consistent and it still doesn't run right. I also sprayed the heck out of the carb and intake boot at the reed block with carb cleaner and it never even burped once so I don't believe that I've got a air leak in there. I was getting desperate so on a whim I installed the one other jet I've got for this bike. It's one step down from stock for riding in high elevation so it's just slightly smaller and leaner. On the test ride it never 'bogged' a single time but did seem to lose a little of the snap out of the hole. I thought running leaner would make it a little peppier although the trade off is running hot. I'm not sure if the smaller jet is masking a problem still or not but it does run good. Now I've got one more issue. As I was putting the bike away, I noticed it was dripping gas out the overflow tube. Not to bad, just a drop every second or two but I've never had that problem before. I tapped the side of the float bowl a few times and thought it might have gotten the drip slowed but it won't go away. I remember when I had the carb out the last time this morning I accidently pushed down on the carb while the floats were resting on the bench and probably messed up the float setting. Now, I don't have any problem pulling the carb and setting the float level but it makes me wonder if the gas level in the bowl is higher than it should be, would that have caused the bog to of improved when I test drove it? What effect would that have had? I can't work on it anymore until tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to get some more tips here. Also, does anybody know the correct float setting and how to get it adjusted correctly?
Thanks,
Max

Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

OK, it's looking good now. I opened the carb last night and the float looked good so I blew air through the needle and seat for the float to clean it out and I got rid of the overflow leak. I probably just got some debris on the seat the last time I had it apart and that was allowing some fuel to leak through. I test rode it again and it's running strong so I'll be putting it up for sale this morning. Thanks for your comments and help.
Max

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Remove the front nose piece,next to the cdi and voltage regulator is the tors box,three wire conector unplug it and your done.If that doesnt do it let me know and ill give you some more ways to trouble shoot it.if it starts its not the cdi!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by sand addict
Remove the front nose piece,next to the cdi and voltage regulator is the tors box,three wire conector unplug it and your done.If that doesnt do it let me know and ill give you some more ways to trouble shoot it.if it starts its not the cdi!
We had that disconnected for awhile and it never changed anything. I just wasn't sure if that completely disabled the system or not. Right now I'm pretty happy with the way it's running.
Max

Old 04-09-2020, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 blaster. Bogs down. No power

Wlll a float bowl level keep my blaster from running good