Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Top Speed of 250R (the Raptor Replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bird, love the bike man. You said you might race some TT that was close to you. I raced 3-wheelers back in the mid-eighties, and there was a grand national TT meet at Boyd raceway in Boyd,TX. I don't know how close that is to you but I was kinda wondering if they still race there. It was a big, high speed, high horsepower track. I couldn't get out of Curtis Sparks and Mickey Dunlaps way quick enough. Privateers didn't have a chance. Fun track though.

Old 03-10-2001, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

TheQuadfather,

When I was reviewing the recent messages on this topic, I got to you and my first thought was "Oh great, TheQuadfather. What's he going to slam me about?" But you turned out cool afterall and thanks for the compliment on the bike.

You're right, the R1 is for crazy people and that's why I sold it...I was becoming crazy!

Old 03-10-2001, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

BOP: My standard MOP is, when someone comes into the Polaris forum and slams my brand, I find a post of theirs, and give it back to them. I don't remember you slamming a polaris rider, just 'cause he chose a different quad than you. But if you do, I'll catch up to you.

Old 03-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

TheQuadfather,

Once again, you surprised me. I thought "What the heck is a BOP?" and then realized it was the acronym for my name. Boy, do I feel dumb .

BTW, I don't think you will ever find me slaming anyone's ride. I like what I like. PERIOD. If you like what you like, then that should be fine by everyone else. PERIOD. I think a lot of us get too carried away with brand names (kinda like '**** on Chevy or **** on Ford'). So many people take credit for a machine they had absolutely no input on in the engineering or development of. I've never really understood the allegiance some people have to brand names. It's not like Brand X paid your way through college or bought you a house since you've been a loyal customer. They simply take your money (and many times a lot of interest $$$ as well) and say 'thank you'. The bottom line is, are you having fun with your machine? That's all that matters. PERIOD.

Old 03-10-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

BOP I agree with you 100% on the brand loyalty thing. People get so caught up in "Ride Red" or "Polaris Rules" "Yamahaha sucks" blah blah blah. It's stupid! It's OK to have pride in what you ride or drive because you like it or spent time and money making it better than stock, but something shouldn't be ruled as good or bad because of the brand. If you like something ONLY because of the brand it is, you are narrowminded and a product of advertising and hype. I drive a really nice (if I do say so myself) Ford truck. I constantly have Chevy and Dodge owners saying it sucks but would be nice if it were a different brand, and have Ford owners drooling over it. To show my indifference to brand I usually wear a Dodge hat which I get asked about all the time. When a fellow Ford owner starts ripping on a competing brand I usually just end it by saying I like all brands and Ford doesn't own me. I hold no loyalty to any brand, I paid for my truck myself, I didn't make it, or design it, nor do I own stock in the company or get paid for advertising. I like what I like period.

'01 Blue Raptor '00 Trailblazer '99 Scram400 4x4

Old 03-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Banned

I have exactly the same setup as you do birdOfPrey, with the exception of the exhaust. I also keep my bike very clean like you do. Don't sell the Raptor. It is a very nice machine.

IronBear

Old 03-10-2001, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

DuneJammer,

Well said!

A perfect example is I still predominately hang out in the Yamaha forum, but I own a Honda and my next bike will probably be a Kawasaki (the new 650 V-Twin). The company you keep is half the fun.

As long as we're both proud (but not ****) Ford owners, take a look at my Ford in the 'My Photos' folder in the Yahoo Photo Album. Unfortunately, it's not that clean today. I'd like to see yours as well if you have any pictures.

Old 03-10-2001, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

BOP, nice truck! Makes a nice drive to the trailhead or dunes when you are riding in modern luxury I threw a few pics of my truck up here http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/dunejammer . It's a chipped Power Stroke turbo diesel that puts out 300+ horse and 650 ft. lbs. of torque. I love my Ford don't get me wrong but I see awesome Dodges and Chevys all over the place.

'01 Blue Raptor '00 Trailblazer '99 Scram400 4x4

Old 03-10-2001, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

DuneJammer,

That's probably one of the best looking superduty's I've seen. I'm not usually a big fan of aftermarket fender flares, but those look GREAT!

Old 03-11-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

IronBear,

You may have missed my other post, but the Raptor has already been replaced by the 250R. It would be nice to have both, but my wife isn't that nice . As I've said before, I can always get another Raptor and add the same aftermarket accessories. However, a 250R like this one is hard to find. I will probably dedicate the R to my weekend 'tinker' bike and dedicate it to dune riding (MX and rocky trails will abuse it too much). I'm trying to talk my wife into a new Kawasaki 650V-Twin when they come out and then I can use it for everything else. It'll probably be the Humvee of ATVs. BTW, thanks for the compliment, I take pride in trying to keep my things clean.