Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha 450 wolverine wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if this is a good question but is there any sensors that could cause it to run like it is. its hard to start but will idle but when you give it gas it dies most of the time but if you get it reved up past about 3k rpms then i clears up. so what am i missing

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

There is a speed sensor but highly doubt that is your issue. A few dumb questions = Since you say it's getting too much fuel did you happen to check your air filter to be sure it's clean and their is no air restriction? Are their any mods done to this thing, jets, exhaust etc.? You say you adjusted the fuel screw, are you talking about the screw that is under the carb that you need to drill out the brass plug to get to? That is the air/fuel screw, the one with the hose coming off the throttle side is you idle adjustment. Stock the air/fuel screw should be 2.5 turns out. Sounds like your not getting enough air or your fuel mixture is set to like 3.5 turns. That is if your jets are all clean and nothing is in your gas tank that keeps dropping down into your carb.

Sometimes you can get issues starting when your valves need adjusting but it doesn't sound like that's your problem either.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok. just so you know this seams to have happened all the sudden. yes i did check the air filter and it looks good, even took it off to see if that made a diff but no change. no there are no mods to it. all i have dont is replaced the neidle and seat. yes im talking about the one you have to drill out the plug on. i have had it adjusted all the way from 1 turn to 4 turs in 1/4 turns. and chem diped it

Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i was messing with it a few min ago. it will idle and if you thumb the throttle it will rev up and clear up at high rpm but its the inbetween rpms that it studders. i would say between 2000rpm and 3500rpm or so is where the issue is.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok well i have figured out that i dont think its the carborator anymore. its fine and is very clean. really it just sounds like its missing between 1500 rpm and 3500 rpm or abouts in that range. i have changed the plug and what not and checked the connectors. all looks good. so now what. any ideas

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Check the boot between the carb and the engine for cracks. If it has some that would do it! Or the carb needs cleaned in one of those carb cleaning machine at a shop. thx

Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

i asume you are talking about the intake? i will check that. but i dont think it does. not dryrotted or anything. but i will check

Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

i checked the intake and theres no cracks in the rubber or metal that i can find, so now what

Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Ok I have a warrior that the boot was bad between the carb and engine. Make sure air cleaner is not plugged by taking it off and running it. Or maybe the small jet in the carb is plugged up that would do it for sure. Maybe float is sticking up not letting gas in. and I am sure you played with the choke and air screw has to be like 2 or 2.5 turns out. I am trying to help. where do u live? jeff

Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

im in east TN. as for the intake bnoot it does not have any crakcs in it and the air box boot is good to. as for the jets i have cleaned the carb about 10 times this time and cem diped it for 48 hrs. all jets and passages that i can see/get to are clean. it really just seams like its not getting all the fire it needs in the mid range rpms. like its just missing but i have changed the plug and even to a hotter one. no diff and if you open the air box and take out the filter it does not make a diff.

Quick Reply: yamaha 450 wolverine wont idle