Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha 450 wolverine wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha 450 wolverine wont idle

ok i have a 07 wolverine 450. it wont idle or start without giving it gas a bit and even then its hard to start. once you get it started you can rev it up but as soon as you let off the gas it dies. i have cleaned the carb several times and checked for vacume leaks and stuff like that. it seam like its getting to much fule cause it studders a little bit but i have checked the fuel level in the bole. so now what?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you drain the carb the last time you shut it down? If gas has been sitting in it for a while, you probably have a gummed up jet or passage. Remove the carb, pull out the jets and inspect them, then give the whole thing a good spray with carb cleaner...SC

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea i have drained the carb. i have taken it off several times and all the way apart and cleaned everything several times. taken allt he jets out and have checked them. the only other thing i can think of is something wrong with the nidle valve and or float. so now what

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

If it runs at higher speeds OK then your idle jet must still have an issue with it being cloged.
The fuel passage holes on this small jet are easy to clog up as they are very small.
A very fine tag wire should be used to check all the holes.
If carb cleaner and compressed air doesnt work, you might have to buy dunking
sollution and soak carb overnight then clean with compressed air.
Dismantle the carb before dunking, but include the jets in the dunk.
The other reason could be too much fuel as you mentioned.
Possibly fuel inlet needle not shutting off completly,
float level to low or "sunk" floats.
With carb dismantled, turn up side down , connect a piece of fuel hose to fuel inlet pipe on carb and try blowing in hose. If needle has a tight seal you wont be able to blow air in.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i have yet again checked everything i can think of. now in doing some trouble shooting it appears that it is getting to much fule. it will run great right before it runs out of gass when you trun off the gas tank. i have even adjusted the mixture screw but no real diff. any ideas

Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

Check to make sure you have aprox 1/8" free play in your choke plunger cable
when the lever is in the off position.
Also if it does indeed have a plunger system as a choking system,
unscrew it from the carb and check the rubber seat on the little plunger to see if it is grooved and or the rubber has hardened over age/time.
If this plunger is not sealing tight, extra fuel will leak by causing a rich condition.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

well as for the choke it does have the plunger system. if i take the choke plunger all the way out of the carb i will run. i did check it and it looked good but i will double check again. also i have notised that if the gas is on on the tank it seams to die cause it is pushing the fule but if i ture off the fuel and let it run on what is in thecarb it does great till runs out of fuel.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Check your float height and needle valve. I also had to run wire in my jets to clean them. air, carb cleaner would not clean out the trash. The third time off I used wire and presto. Idles great now...

Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i just went out and messed with it and rode it dow the street and back up the hill. before that i checked the choke plunger for issues and it looks good and appears to be closeing all the way. i have checked the jets several times and i can see light threw them and they are clean, it will idle now, im getting closer lol. but when you put it into gear and try to go it studders untill it reves up and then it clears up. on the way back up the hill/road it started trying to die and i had to thumb the throttle and if i held it down then it would just die and i had to limp it up the hill.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yamaha wolverine 450 wont run right

ok so i did a cemical dip for 3 hrs. all parts other than the seals and rubber and plastic. its clean. im mean really clean. still it does not run right. it studders untill it reves up at a higher rpm. i cant figure it out and its really iratating. so now what. what am i missing?

Quick Reply: yamaha 450 wolverine wont idle