Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 warrior no spark

Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 warrior no spark

Have a 2000 warrior that had the engine removed and cylinder base gasket replaced and then engine put back in. The guy tells me I should be able to throw the battery in and it should go, well quess what - no spark.

Turns out the pickup is shot so I put a brand new stator in and then still no spark. I did read something about getting power off of the orange wire going to the secondary coil. I put a testlight on it and get nothing.

I did however put a meter on the outputs from the new stator while cranking the engine over and when I test the source coil I am getting 76 volts ac. When I test the pulser coil I get about .4 volts AC while cranking. I was told then that you could not test the orange wire going to the secondary coil without an osiliscope (spelling??) I did test the continuity between where the orange wire leaves the cdi and where it joins the coil and it is good.

The secondary coil checks out ok. What am I missing?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Now I am really getting frustrated with this thing. Put that new stator in and no spark. Now replaced the cdi, wire harness, secondary coil and all I get is one weak spark. It seems that the first time I turn it over after turning the key on it sparks one time and then that is it. Anyone ever run into that?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you tried another spark plug or is that one the previous one? it could have cracked insulation or other problems. hmmmm...still thinking on your quad problem(s)........

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
have you tried another spark plug or is that one the previous one? it could have cracked insulation or other problems. hmmmm...still thinking on your quad problem(s)........
Yes I have tried different plugs.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never seen a wiring diagram for a Yamaha Warrior before tonight. The only one I found with Google is almost completely unreadable . It claims to be for a Yamaha Warrior YFM350XP. Do you by chance have a readable wiring diagram that you could send me? Anyone else?

The wiring diagram I found has 11 wires going to the CDI. Does this sound like your CDI? It appears that all the starter interlock stuff (using clutch and neutral switches instead of brake switches) is buffered through the CDI. If this is what you have then all that works since you can crank the starter.

It looks like there is a kill switch connection to the CDI as well. It looks like it takes 12 volts to enable spark, when disconnected it kills spark.

I cannot read any wires colors on the diagram at all. The text describing the colors are just fuzzy blobs.

76 VAC from the stator sounds like it is in line with most other quads for the AC ignition power. 0.4 volts AC for the trigger (pickup) pulse sounds reasonable also. The output of the CDI to the ignition coil should be a set of narrow high voltage pulses with each firing of the spark plug. The best way to look at this is with an oscilloscope, but you can use a meter to measure AC voltages here. What you get depends a lot on the meter, but most will display a lot of zero readings with some random numbers interspersed. What is happening is that sometimes the meter captures all or part of the narrow voltage pulse and displays a value, other times it misses it and display zero volts. You should see something though. Use a meter, not a test light. Test lights are worthless for these measurements.

When do you get that one weak spark? When you turn on the ignition switch? When you first engage the starter motor? Or when the starter motor turns off?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

here is the scan I have. It was very bad quality from the dealer and was hard for them to give up. I can email you the original.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Electrical Expert

Here is the diagram I have...

I sent you a private message as well.

2000 warrior no spark-yamaha-yfm350xp-warrior-atv-wiring-diagram.jpg

It isn't much more readable than yours.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I've never seen a wiring diagram for a Yamaha Warrior before tonight. The only one I found with Google is almost completely unreadable . It claims to be for a Yamaha Warrior YFM350XP. Do you by chance have a readable wiring diagram that you could send me? Anyone else?

The wiring diagram I found has 11 wires going to the CDI. Does this sound like your CDI? It appears that all the starter interlock stuff (using clutch and neutral switches instead of brake switches) is buffered through the CDI. If this is what you have then all that works since you can crank the starter.

It looks like there is a kill switch connection to the CDI as well. It looks like it takes 12 volts to enable spark, when disconnected it kills spark.

I cannot read any wires colors on the diagram at all. The text describing the colors are just fuzzy blobs.

76 VAC from the stator sounds like it is in line with most other quads for the AC ignition power. 0.4 volts AC for the trigger (pickup) pulse sounds reasonable also. The output of the CDI to the ignition coil should be a set of narrow high voltage pulses with each firing of the spark plug. The best way to look at this is with an oscilloscope, but you can use a meter to measure AC voltages here. What you get depends a lot on the meter, but most will display a lot of zero readings with some random numbers interspersed. What is happening is that sometimes the meter captures all or part of the narrow voltage pulse and displays a value, other times it misses it and display zero volts. You should see something though. Use a meter, not a test light. Test lights are worthless for these measurements.

When do you get that one weak spark? When you turn on the ignition switch? When you first engage the starter motor? Or when the starter motor turns off?
I think you will find that other wiring diagram I sent you much different then the one you have. When I put the meter on AC and get a reading off the orange wire going to the secondary coil I get aprox .68V AC while cranking it over. It seems to be there for as long as I crank it. It does vary a bit though.

I get the one weak spark when I first engage the starter motor. If I try to engage the starter motor a second time I will get no spark unless I was to turn the key off and then back on and try to start after that.

I have had one guy tell me to get a peak DC volt tester to take the reading direct from the stator wires and another guy tell me AC voltmeter? Not sure what to use there.

Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Electrical Expert

Anything that comes from the stator is going to be AC voltage. For the CDI main power (I think you called it a source coil) any AC meter will measure fine since the output is roughly sine waves just like your AC household power. The trigger voltage (pickup coil) is a different story. It must be a pair of short +/- pulses right at the time when the CDI is supposed to fire with mostly zero volts in between. This may screw up some meters and cause them to read differently. Most meters will measure the average of the narrow pulses over a long period, hence the low 0.4 volts. But I don't know for sure...

I must say here that I have no experience whatsoever with Yamaha ignition systems, but so far everything I've seen isn't a lot different than other quads. I'm on a steep learning curve so it likely that I may not be 100% correct. But I will try my best...

The 0.68 volts to the ignition coil from the CDI sounds just wrong. If you plug in the previous CDI does it do the same thing? The voltage here should be very high fast AC pulses more than 100 volts high (with lots of zero volts in between). Most meters will display random numbers here because during its measurement snapshot it will see nothing, all of the voltage, or a just piece of it. Thus it looks like the CDI is not getting triggered, the spark is being inhibited via the kill switch input, or the CDI is bad. Or the coil primary is shorted.

So have you done any tests on the kill switch input (the black/white wire)? If this is grounded you will not get spark. If it is disconnected then spark is enabled. Either one of the ignition switch or the stop switch can kill spark by grounding this pin.

I did manage to find a complete service manual for this quad on line. I downloaded it, but I haven't read it thoroughly yet. It's huge - like 25 megabytes. The complete and legible wiring diagram is inside as well as trouble shooting procedures. Do you have this? Have you done any of the tests outlined there? I need to review this manual some more in the morning.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Electrical Expert

Here is where I downloaded the warrior service manual in case anyone is interested:

WARRIOR TECH Thread :: Links To Important Topics - Yamaha ATV Forum

There are several manual links there. Don't fall for the phony download buttons which are just ads and/or suspicious software installs. Wait for the real download link, and I would make sure your malware software has all its shields raised...

The manuals are about 17 MBytes (320 pages) in pdf format. The supplements are much smaller.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 warrior no spark