Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bore Stroker Kit

Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Big Bore Stroker Kit

Is there a yamaha warrior big bore stroker kit that I can get put in my fourwheeler without having to get the block machined. I also want a 10.25:1 compression ratio. Also do I need a cam if I get a kit and do I need an oil cooler. The stock connecting rod bearing on the crank went out and the all the rings are broke and the cylinder is scored so I need to do something. How much of a price difference would there be if I put a stock kit in it than if I put in a bigbore stroker kit. What kit should I put in if I can't spend anymore than 1500.I really don't want to spend more than 1000 though.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stroker kit requires you to split the cases so you can remove the crank and rod for the stroked crank assembly. If you just want to go big bore, you can go as far as .080 over, but that is pushing the limit on the jug material. Call up Wiseco or LA Sleeve to see what they carry in the way of big bore kits, some come with a new jug sleeve, which requires you to have the old cylinder bored to accept it, then press it in, a little more work. For the quickest, simplest kit, you can go .060 over, with a 10.25 piston, call Web or Hot Cams for their recommendations on a good cam for your riding style (race, trail, etc.) get some heavy duty valve springs (factory Warrior springs are notorious for causing valve float with aftermarket cams at higer rpms) and a good gasket kit. If you have the time and money, send the head out for a port and flow job, it will make the most of the new engine go fast parts. You can have all the machine work done to the jug and head, then assemble it yourself to save money, gives you a nice feeling when you crank over a fresh motor you put together yourself. Even with shop work and parts, if you assemble yourself, you should be in the 500-800 dollar range.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default crank

I already had the head ported and polished. Are you saying I can get a stroked crank and a .060 over sized stroker piston and the cylinder bored,a cam and springs and gaskets all for around 500-800 dollars. About how many CC's would my motor be then.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to ask. What on the case has to get machined out so the stroker crank will fit.Is it something I could do with a grinder like making clearance for the counterweights or something. Also do I really need a oil cooler. Is there a kit I can buy that will come with everything I just mentioned above.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a stroker crank kit would be a bit more, its been years since I did any work on my Wolverine, check with Fourstroketech, or Highlifter to see what they offer in a bore/stroke kit. For Warriors, oil coolers come 2 ways: you can replace the oil filter cover with one from a Big Bear, it has the oil cooler line fittings on it, and you can get some lines made up and bolt in a car or motorcycle oil cooler up front by the bumper. Fourstroketech recommends an oil line fitting tapped into the side of the case and cam cover, to supply fresher, cooler oil to the top end, which runs much hotter in a big bore/stroker kit. And machining the clearnance for a stroker crank is NOT a benchtop dremel job,do it wrong, and you can cause a lot of damage down the road, you need to find someone that knows what to do and where to make clearance. There is a fine line between saving money and juryrigging, which can come back to bite you in an engine, bottom line, if you cant afford to do it right, don't do it. If you have money for a big bore/stroker kit, but dont have the money to get it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, stick with a simpler and less complicated top end big bore kit. If you are looking for massive amounts of horsepower, to be totally honest, the money you will put into that old school Warrior motor and chassis would be better spent on a newer, faster quad like a Z400 or something in that
area, with liquid cooling and a lighter, more race oriented frame. Four stroke motors require a lot more money to "feel" faster than a 2 stroke, just the nature of the beast.