Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New type of question: What DON'T you like about your Raptors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahah!! We have to get that tiny double on tape!
Hope I don't break the poor sled again (otherwise I'll get mega super heavy duty rod!).
Just a question to Raptor owners (since most seem to have got a wider axle)...how does ti feel to have a narrower front? Or do you feel it at all? Just curious.

Old 03-14-2001, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

Nothing

Old 03-14-2001, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

gOOD LUCK WITH THE JUMP. LANDED MY WILDCAT IN A TREE LAST YEAR SO I WENT TAMER THIS YEAR...BOUGHT A PHAZER. GRAT POWDER SLED!! AND GREAT FOR JUMPING TOO

Old 03-14-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Bingo1...you should come and ride with us this week-end. The powder ain't so great but we still have a blast getting stuck and hitting obstacles. LOL We are going tomorrow afternoon too maybe, if your interested...

Old 03-14-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 basic dislikes about my Raptor
1. Like BOP said, throws to much mud and water, but other sports quads may do it also. I guess I need a 4x4 of some kind with fat fenders.
2. The gear ratio between 1st and 2nd gear. All of the others are just right.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

My Beefs:

- Clutch Fade/Tranny issues have me worried, we will see
- Too Narrow of a Rear Axle.... Easy Fix!
- Stock Tires too Grippy, first thing to go!
- Blue plastic is not very forgiving. I have more white creases than blue showing!

I'm gonna redo mine with white plastics.. I think it'll look cool with the blue frame. Razors and Lonestar on order.....

Old 03-14-2001, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

This is actually a good post its really interesting to hear this info. I cant really complain about the dirt and mud factor since from my experience so far almost any sport bike is gonna get you dirty.....Even my Wolverine does. I feel that the height (ground clearance) is actually a plus for me due to some of the trails I ride so the tippy thing isnt an issue for me anyhow. But the tires? I havent gotten to go at any hills yet due to the weather, work, etc but I think it might be an art that needs mastered......There's a lot of torque in that thing. I can imagine ill be riding on the front of the quad to keep that front end DOWN where it belongs. Anyways sometimes I wish I could get some wheel SPIN instead of having it stand at attention.....but again when you WANT to wheelie it trust me its more than happy to oblige. I think for me so far the tires are prolly the biggest dislike. But again in a few situations im glad they hook up as well as they do.......I dunno 2 sets of tires would be nice! This weekend if its halfway decent out im gonna go try some hills and see how that goes. I can sort of agree with the other person who mentioned the power though........But still please take into consideration this thing is a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke! Otherwise im pleased so far. Im curious hearing about these longer A-arms and axles and swingarms though? How much do they help? If your looking for a nice sport quad with a large displacement im sure youd like the Raptor! I do =-)

Old 03-15-2001, 11:36 AM
Range Rover

My dislikes based on the type of riding (MX) that I do:

1. Too narrow for the height. (Solved by widening)

2. Too tall for the width. (solved by lowering)

3. Gearing too tall. (solved by sprocket change)

4. Front shocks too spongy (solved by aftermarket shocks)

5. Front end light. (changing riding style or swingarm. A good rider can keep it down and still gas it)

6. Tires are grabby (solved by different tires)

7. Handlebars are too tall and narrow (solved by aftermarket bars)

8. Wheels are not strong enough to handle big air. (aftermart reinforced wheels)

But for leisure trail riding just a rear axle would do for me.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42t rear, 12t front, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Old 03-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but here are my dislikes...

1)Weak stock (steel) handle bars

2)Useless reverse gear (geared too high)

3)Tires, rather the have 250R/400EX Ohtsu's

4)Plastic skids are a joke

5)Down a little on top-end power

6)Front shocks suck (the rear is just 'OK')

7)Brakes are not on par with Honda 250R

Now that is a pretty short list of things that I didn't like on my stock Raptor. All except number (2) I can or have fixed. I have a full compliment of GYT-R aluminum skid plates that more than do their job. I plan to buy a set of XC Razr tires. I have a CT Racing pipe to install and I've already put in the Motion Pro Pro-Flow air filter kit. I have a Tag T2 quad bend handlebar kit that I must say is just plain awesome (strong as hell and then some). All I really want are my custom axis shocks (shipping March 19th!) and stronger brakes and I'm ready to race!

Things that I like:

1) You can buy it NEW!

2) Great ergonomics

3) Good fit and finish

4) Awesome overall performance

5) Did I mention that you can actually buy this machine NEW?!?!

Old 03-15-2001, 07:33 PM
jad
Range Rover

Please let me know how you like your CT pipe. Is it the full exhust?

Quick Reply: New type of question: What DON'T you like about your Raptors??