Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Locker on a Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has put a locker onto their Kodiak? My question to you is how did it effect the steering?

Old 03-15-2001, 04:48 PM
Mac
Range Rover

FKNA I'am waiting to see what High Lifter's new Detroit locker will cost for the Kodiak when it finally gets designed. They already have Honda's made for marketing according to their Web site.
From what Kaw has on it's new 650 twin it now is the King of true 4 wheel drive compare to Polaris sportsman models. Reference to a review on ATV.com.
If the detroit Locker does what High Lifer says it will do It would be cheaper to install one vs buying another machine I would think?

Mac The Red Rhino from the HO Train

Old 03-15-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Mac, thanks for the info. I went to Highlifter to read what you were talking about. I'm with you, I will hold out until the Detroit locker becomes available for the Kodiak.

Old 03-15-2001, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Check out Dirtyhowies . It's the best buy in Diff-Locks, manufacturer direct, no middleman. Best quality Diff-Lock I've seen yet and has a garrantee as well.

Old 03-15-2001, 10:52 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Rock do you think this New Detroit locker will give you better steering vs the diff loc ??
Mac

Old 03-16-2001, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Mac I think that the Detroit locker may steer easier dependent on how tight it is set up. If it unlocks too easy it will steer easy, but then it will not stay locked in high traction situations. If it is tight and stays locked in high traction situations it will take some doing to get it to unlock while cornering (not so easy steering). The only true way to have unlockable TRUE 4x4 is a Diff-Lock with unlocking hubs. I can't understand why anyone hasn't tried to make unlocking huds yet? It works great on trucks.

Old 03-16-2001, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

For my own knowledge, when you say Highlifter has a Detroit Locker are you talking about a locker in general or an actual "Detroit Locker" A Detroit Locker is a Trademark name and not just a general term for a locker.

Old 03-17-2001, 09:27 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Look up Highlifter.com and read for yourself. I'am not that not sure if it's the same design as the locker's that are built for trucks!

Old 03-18-2001, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

MAC
I went to Highlifter's sight and this is an actual Detroit locker. I will definetly have one when released for the Kodiak. This should be an excellent product. By Their description it sounds like the same design as used in trucks and the picture looks like it might be a full size version

Old 03-18-2001, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Exactly my point. It is the same Detroit Locker as in trucks. Have you ever driven a truck with a Detroit Locker? They do not unlock that easy.
P.S. Detroit Lockers are not recomended for the front end on pickup trucks by the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Locker on a Kodiak