Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vangasman
Sounds like (A) the seal is shot and (B) you need a carb rebuild. Sounds like the gas was left on, washing down the cylinder and filling the crankcase with gas.
I always leave the gas on, I think this time the float stuck. The carb drain screw won't close off, so I have the hose blocked. Think I'll pull the carb and see what it looks life. Do I need a kit, or just clean it and make sure the float doesn't have a hole in it? In other cases a good cleaning fixes carbs, without buying anything..........I appreciate the help, working on it alone here, no one to give advice, or to criticize me when I screw up, lmao.

Thanx again, Randy D

PS what is the name of the seal that goes around the output shaft, at the driveshaft? I have to replace it ASAP. Thank you for the 3rd time!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Is there anymore help out there? What is the seal around the driveshaft called? The seal in the aluminum housing? Please help me.

Thank you. RD

Old 12-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

Bump.............Please help. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

the needele and seat are bad in the carb cause you always leave the gasd on, also the rear seal is gone , needs replaced, hopefully the rod bearings are alright after all the gas in oil, replace needle and seat, also called float valve, replace rear seal, change oil and filter again and pray that everything else is alright, and TURN THE GAS OFF WHEN NOT IN USE

Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you so much. I just wanted confirmation before I tear it down. I can do the carb work myself. And not long ago I replaced the drive shaft boot, so I know how to get to the rear seal. I guess I should have replaced it when I had it down. Lessons learned.

I sure appreciate your help.

Randy D

Old 12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

check air filter for gassy smell too, alot of times it fills airbox with gas first,

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

But what would cause this part of the problem?

The engine will now only crank and run IF the seat is removed, the air filter box cover removed, AND the air filter removed. NO kidding. IF I even put the seat on the bike, with no air filter cover or filter on it, the engine dies instantly. It is spitting a huge amount of oil/gas mix out of what I would call the pvc hose if this were a car. If I pinch the hose shut, the engine dies. This thing is STARVING for air. It doesn't have good power, built isn't completely dead either. The choke lever feels like it isn't opening, but I can't be sure yet.

Compression is about 150, so what with all the blowby and why won't it run with the air filter installed?

I just can't make any sense of it.

Thank you, Randy D

Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

bump.................making progress, but still know what is wrong that is causing the starvation of air?

Thank you. RD.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Any ideas on this part of it though? And is it the seal at the driveshaft that I need to replace? I hope so, that would be easy..........I don't want to have to bust the cases apart!

Originally Posted by RandyD
But what would cause this part of the problem?

The engine will now only crank and run IF the seat is removed, the air filter box cover removed, AND the air filter removed. NO kidding. IF I even put the seat on the bike, with no air filter cover or filter on it, the engine dies instantly. It is spitting a huge amount of oil/gas mix out of what I would call the pvc hose if this were a car. If I pinch the hose shut, the engine dies. This thing is STARVING for air. It doesn't have good power, built isn't completely dead either. The choke lever feels like it isn't opening, but I can't be sure yet.

Compression is about 150, so what with all the blowby and why won't it run with the air filter installed?

I just can't make any sense of it.

Thank you, Randy D

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RandyD
Any ideas on this part of it though? And is it the seal at the driveshaft that I need to replace? I hope so, that would be easy..........I don't want to have to bust the cases apart!

bump

Quick Reply: Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!