Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the name of the seal where the driveshaft goes into the casing, under the boot? I want to be sure I order the right seal, and I don't always trust the parts salesman. I still don't know why it won't run without the air filter on it, but it would not run at all if the air filter was on it, iit won't even run with the cover to the air filter on it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Randy D

Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, pulled rear swingarm and driveshaft off...........rear seal behind universal yoke is intact......it has to be leaking, or the gas couldn't get through............but it isn't the seal that came apart and I found pieces of. I will replace it, because it is hard and leaking..........but it isn't the main culprit causing this trouble..........

pulled right side cover off, not knowing what was behind it.......the drive belt is OK, but there is some old grease, nasty stuff, inside the clutch.....looks like water might have gotten in there at some time or another......but that side cover has nothing to do with the problem either....

Back to the problem........when I drained the oil, there were parts of a green seal , many parts of it, that came out with the oil/gas mixture....I need to find out where that seal is, what it seals, and how to replace it.......I am about to pull the left cover tomorrow, see what is there........might ought to start putting some stuff back together first before I have the entire atv disassembled with no hope of getting everything back perfect.......

What seal could be in the crankcase area, green in color, maybe an O-ring, that could come apart and come out with the oil? Am I looking in the right place, inside the left cover? I am tired of taking apart unnecessary parts, getting no closer to the real issue.

Thank you so much in adnvance, Randy D.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Trailblazer

Please, I need some help here.......someone who knows the inner workings of these 400cc engines............I have been advised to junk the engine and start over.,....but I'm not ready to do that yet........

Anyone?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

bump, please..........help.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry Randy, I can't help you much but I feel your pain! Pick up an after market repair manual from e-bay. like a Clymers or something. You can have it in a few days and it explains very well how to do a lot of the repairs on your machine. Couldn't live with out one! If you want a link to one, send me a PM and I'll get it to you. Don't buy the last one, please, as I'm waiting til after Christmas to get mine, just in case somebody got it for me off my "list".

Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Found the seals at less than 25% of retail price at dealer. APPLIED TECHNOLOGIES. The savings are simply hard to believe. They matched up the numbers on the lip of the seal and founda numbers on each side. Unfreakingbelievable!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your float in the carb is out of adj causing the gas to run into the cyclinder and the to the crankcase ( oil pan). I had the grey rubber stuff in my old 400 kodiak but never figured out where it came from. I thought it looked like a piece of a gasket from somewhere. The engine had a whirling sound to it but it still beat my bro's 05 and started all the time. A carb rebuild kit is only like $30 so I would do that. Time for a jet upgrade too?????
Good luck

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Randy
Go to Tradebit.com and search for a manual for this thing. They have them there and it will be the best 5 or $10 you could spend. You do paypal and download them instantly. Then you will have many of your answers.
With 155lbs compression the cylinder sounds like it is in ok shape. Though I know the manual for my 660 and 80 both list compression up around 175 as good and 140 as min. Yami seems to like high compression.
Did you get your carb cleaned so the needle valve was sealing an not flooding you engine out?
If the oil level is to high from gas in it it can cause some weird problems. Not to mention ruin your engine if the oil gets too thin.
The only thing I can think of with the seat issue is the seat is pinching some wire that shuts the motor off when you put it on. You should change your air filter too as the gas may have ruined it. Cheap insurance anyway.
Ken

Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you can't find the manual, I have it in pdf format. If you want a copy, pm me. I found it for free on the internet somewhere back in 05 or 06 before I got my 700

Quick Reply: Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!