Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Nika-seal cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nika-seal cylinders

Anybody know what year ATV manufacturers (including dirt bikes) started nickel plating cylinders and why? I was looking into buying an old dirtbike (like early '90's YZ250) but really don't want one with these plated cylinders. I have no experience with the plated cylinders but my riding buddies have had nothing but problems with them ('09 Polaris RZR S and '06 RM125).

Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think 1989 is the year started....But can bore out and replaced with and standard steel sleeve.....I have done this serveral times....They claims that nikel-seal cools better....

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, would I need to replace the whole sleeve or just bore out the nickled sleeve and get rid of existing coating?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Whole LOT less friction on the Nikasil cylinders and wears so much better than cast iron! Almost all Mfg's are using plated cylinders now along with a lot of auto makers such as Porsche.Will outlast several pistons and replating isn't that expensive! OPT

Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Is it actually a nickel coating? And how much does it cost and where's a good place to have it done? I have heard it costs upwards of $250 and the nearest place on the east coast is in PA, but that was from unreliable sources.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Is it actually a nickel coating? And how much does it cost and where's a good place to have it done? I have heard it costs upwards of $250 and the nearest place on the east coast is in PA, but that was from unreliable sources.
Nicasil/Nikisil Cylinders are plated with Nickel/Silicon-carbide stuff.... Best I could get from all of it.... If one takes and magnifies the stuff really good, it appears like a desert dry lake.... like super fine cracks all over the surface.... the cracks allow much better lubrication of the cylinder walls, and reduces wear a BUNCH, the silicon in the chemistry also helps, and aids in the much reduced wear factor..... the nickel/silicon-carbide stuff is also SUPER way harder than a steel/iron sleeve. This also helps with break in of Rings, from what I remember..... Most of these cylinders are coupled with chrome rings typically as well.... At least the Oil control ring/s.

I don't think 250 is bad for that operation, however, what would the cost of new ones cost instead? Comparing those two items would be the way to determine what avenue to take.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Raptor450
Langcourt Plating(Auburn, Alabama) did all our KTM and other recoatings and average was about $175 per cylinder,excellent work and quick turn around! 6-8 working days OPT

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Plus one for Langcourt...Do great work...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

my understanding is in mass production plating was initially started to save cost. less machining. they sarted with chrome, was kind of a disaster. Kawasaki used something different electrofusion until 03. it wasn't as good.

On fourstroke utility quads it apears that plating is rare. Honda used it on the 650 rincon for awhile, changed to cast after the first year or two think.
The polaris 850 was plated for about 6 months i think, mid year change on the 09's
I know some arctic cat's are plated. so maybe suzuki too.

easiest resource to know what kind of bore it has is the wiseco catalog.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sportsman 700 has been using it since they came out in 2002, 800 Sportsman,and from the Polaris Parts Catalog appears the 550 and 850 since no oversize pistons available even on the 2012 models. OPT

Quick Reply: Nika-seal cylinders