Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee vs Raptor 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your link isn't working. I am sure your son's Blaster is fast, but no way I will get to Florida this year. Possibly Unadilla, no guarantees . Anyway, enough jacking this thread, and I still say keep the 250R!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Your link isn't working. I am sure your son's Blaster is fast, but no way I will get to Florida this year. Possibly Unadilla, no guarantees . Anyway, enough jacking this thread, and I still say keep the 250R!
Awesome. See you in september. Look is up would love to visit. Hum not sure about the you tube link, its royal purples post. Have a good one

Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have also been thinking about a lt500 also, dont know about any problems about them or not. I would consider a YFZ but since im a youngin i cant exactly get that extra cash by the end of the year

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The price difference between a decent LT500 and an older YFZ will be minimal. Stock the LT is fast with lots of low/mid. It is probably easier to mod a Banshee for ridiculous power, but you also have to pay for two of just about everything along the way. The LT takes a man and a boy to kick over at times. They CAN be a touch unreliable, but then again you would be buying a 20 year old machine and it is to be expected. They are a big framed machine, and that may have some repercussions if you ride narrower trails. After all that, I would still love to own one someday.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea, i understand the compression of one, watching my dad kick over his cr500 looks brutal and im done with unreliable, the LT250 i have right now is incredibally unreliable, as i have made a thread already about it. it wont start up when i heat it up i have to wait till its cold and i can start it with one kick cold out of the garage. The YFZ atleast in my area have been $3000 and up and im shooting for a $2400 range. raptors seem to be a good bet for me, i would be losing power but i have a lot of hills i have yet to go on because of my 2 stroke that i would like to in hollister hills. The banshee i cant just put money into it like crazy over a short time span being the amount of money it needs to be put in like suspension as added before. what mods and what cash do i need to put into the raptor to get it up to haulin *** speed? something i love also what about the new sukuzi quads like the ltz 400 and 450, i probably should have made a different thread on the account that this is somewhat becoming off topic

Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Yup, been there, done that with the LT250. Actually pretty fun machines, but the Honda is a bit easier to work on, and less likely to break down. Power to weight ratio is pretty good on the 250R though, I can't really think of any hills I would try on the YFZ that I wouldn't on the 250R. Since you have an R, the 660 is going to feel tall and ride more like a Caddy than a Corvette. Stock shocks off the original YFZ work miracles for them though and can be had cheap. All but the first few years of 700 raptor use the same shocks as the YFZ also. You might want to widen it out if you buy one at stock width, just have to ride it and see for yourself.

Really for $2400.00 you could go big bore on the R, maybe do a few suspension upgrades if it is stock. You would have a real firebreather on your hands. One that would beat all but a pretty well messaged 660. Well, that would just be preferable to me I guess.

The Z400 is an all around great quad. A little more modern than the 400EX. You can get 450 class power out of them if you have ca$$H to put into it. The LT450R is one of my favs, although I have never owned one. I hope Zuk brings them back into production soon. Might be a touch wide for some trails, otherwise a winner in my book.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yes i really like the lt250s speed and how great it runs when it does but the fact that its unreliable is horrible, during a ride i cant let it shutoff once and than im in a predicament. Yamahas seem to be more reliable. And im not a fan of the honda because of its motor and im fine with wrenching on a bike. I am going to check out some review on the new suzukis. no one stands with the raptors though on this forums?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Geesh........All this fuss and to find out you have one of the fake "R's" (Suzuki).
No wonder your wanting to sell.<EG>
AND,,,no wonder your thinking of a raptor..Your decision making process is and has been flawed........j/k
If your in sand, get a shee. They will be the kings of sand for a long while.

My friend, what you need to do is take a ride on the dependability of a Red Wing.
How's about a nice TRX450R?!
There are plenty out there and can be found (with a lil looking) in your price range.
A pipe and mid cam and all your buddies will smell exhaust all day.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Hold on, I should have seen this coming. I was thinking you had a Honda TRX 250R. Forget what I told you about not selling it, lol. While the Zuk can also be turned into a fire breather, you are probably better served looking for something else. If you aren't afraid of wrenching and are willing to put $$ into it every so often, just get a 450. Any of the big brands. Basically just pick a color, and buy the cleanest example you can find.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry thought you know what i meant by the 250 when i said lt250. Im open to all bikes so if it seems like my decision making process is flawed well in ways it can be. im in trails and already crossed out the banshee on my list. I have some mods that i have in mind for the lt450r so i may go for that if i cant find a YFZ in that price range when i go and get my new quad. And the raptor does seem almost just like a luxury bike but i can find it for cheaper than most of the quads ive been thinking about but i dont want to have to spend the money on a quad that should already be wider. LTR450 is in my top 2 of decisions though i have let to try dirt bikes. And actually looking for used lt450s i cant find one in my price range anywhere. oh well