Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 blaster won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 blaster won't start

Got the bike a week ago . Started when I got it . Now nothing . Any ideas would be great . Thanks .

Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i presume you've checked for spark and fuel? just asking cause you haven't stated that yet or anything that would tell us what you've checked for or not. such as, petcock valve lined up for carb to receive fuel. ignition switch on and kill switch deactivated.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry , never had a blaster before, nor a 2 stroke . Fuel is good , spark plug is 2 months old from what I was told . I turn on key , turn switch to run , turn on fuel , pull out choke , and kick . I get nothing . The oil injection has been removed , but the TORS system is still hooked up . The block ontop of the carb is a little loose , not sitting flush on carb .

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spark plugs can foul out after many hours of use or after a few minutes. you really need to check for spark. if you have spark, and are wondering if it's a fuel issue, you can CONSERVATIVELY spray a shot of ether in to the intake and kick the quad over. also, grab a compression gauge and check it to see how much you got.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked everything , and all is good . Decided to just unplug the TORS control under the hood . The bike started first kick . Runs no problem , but won't idle very good , and sputters . Any suggestions ?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tors problem

On my 2000 yamaha blaster , I have some TORS issues . Won't start with it hooked up , but starts first kick , with it disconnected . Any suggestions or solutions ?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Blasted71
On my 2000 yamaha blaster , I have some TORS issues . Won't start with it hooked up , but starts first kick , with it disconnected . Any suggestions or solutions ?
First thing that comes to mind, is to go ahead and run it without the TORS system if it will accelerate past chugging idle. Mine is disabled and I love it.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you say disabled, does that mean unplugged or removed . How do I get it to idle without it ?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Blasted71
When you say disabled, does that mean unplugged or removed . How do I get it to idle without it ?
Not knowing exactly which incarnation your TORS system is,.... My system is "bypassed. The wiring is all left in place and the switch on the park brake is jumpered shut (the wires to the switch are tied together). this disables the system so that it doesn't anger the idle situation, and all works fine. With it "open" the thing won't rev without sputtering. It nearly dies while trying to rev with it left open. It's been years since I bypassed the system, so I may be totally backward on the open/closed circuit description....

I think the switch on your TORS is on the right hand lever. the park brake cam will have a small switch that is activated by it's movement.... find the switch, and see what it does. If it's "closed" or open with the park brake on.... then decide how to proceed to bypass/disable it.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Jaster94
spark plugs can foul out after many hours of use or after a few minutes. you really need to check for spark. if you have spark, and are wondering if it's a fuel issue, you can CONSERVATIVELY spray a shot of ether in to the intake and kick the quad over. also, grab a compression gauge and check it to see how much you got.
NO. NEVER spray starting fluid into a 2 stroke. It EATS oil, and with the gas being premixed, there's a real good chance that it will seize. Spraying a slightly lean mixture of gas in usually does the trick.

To bypass the TORS, unplug it at the wiring harness and ground it out somewhere.

Have you cleaned the carbs? That would be my first place to go.

Quick Reply: 2000 blaster won't start